Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themundy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
I am PC user that is thinking of making the switch. I currently own a toshiba laptop that is in bad shape (i.e. it has to remain plugged in at all times) so I would like to purchase something "soon" but I can wait if I need to.

I would like to spend less than $2k on a system. Here are my options:

1) Blackbook with 20" Widescreen LCD (LG or Dell) and Apple wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
2) Low end MBP
3)....or wait and see if we get any MB/MBP upgrades in the coming weeks

This would be my personal home computer. I would basically be surfing the web, some word processing/spreadsheets, itunes, iphoto, watching dvd's etc. I do not expect any graphics intensive programs that I would need to run (i.e. games). I may do some minor photo editing in the future.

My first need is portability (mainly within my home...living room, bedroom, patio, etc).

What are your thoughts? Is the MB sufficient for my needs? Will it be obsolete in the next year or two? Is it really worth the wait?

meepm00pmeep

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
Toronto
the MacBook is better suited for you & it's a good deal... you could get an external monitor and have dual display if you need the screen real estate... go for the MacBook, it won't be obsolete anytime soon or a couple years looking at your needs

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
I'd go with the first option. I think the extra power of a MBP isn't really needed for you, just get at least 1GB of RAM on the MB and you'll be fine. :)

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
If you can wait, there is no harm in doing it. If you need it now, buy it. The increment in technology won't be significant to you. Also, I'd get the macbook

mac4matt

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
The macbook + 20" widescreen is a nice set-up. A gig of RAM and an 80GB+ hard drive are also well worth it. I'd say go for it!

themundy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 25, 2006
Thanks everyone! I think the macbook is def. the way to go. I will wait a week or two just in case something happens...

prady16

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2006
Right There --->
I would go for a MacBook Pro because MacBook is just a 'wannabe' Mac. Why not get the cheapest MBP and buying additional RAM from BestBuy or something? Also, i would wait some more months before buying a 20" LCD since their prices are constantly falling down. Why not buy a MBP first, wait for about 4-6 months and then buying a 20" LCD TV/Monitor when you get a good deal?

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
Hmm. I have been waiting for a MacBook Pro upgrade too. I sold my white MacBook because of the stains appearing where my wrist rested on the top surface. I had already had the top replaced by Apple.

I went to the Apple Store in London with the intention of buying a black MacBook, but the state of all the MacBooks was terrible. The White ones were all stained, and the black ones had shiny track-pads and all the most common keys were shiny. They looked a mess. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pros all looked in perfect condition. That really made me think I'd be better off with the Pro.

I appreciate the display models would have been handles by everyone, with sticky fingers etc. but they were a good indication of what they might look like after an extended period of time. The shiny track-pads and keys had nothing to do with dirt, and everything to do with wear.

I might have to buy the current model of MBP since I can't wait much longer. I'm having to use a Windows laptop for now and it is awful!

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
ugh!, what's wrong with the Apple Store London?
The same happens at many stores of Best buy and Futureshop here in Canada.

scgf

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2003
Market Harborough, UK
I don't think it is a problem with the Apple Store as such. Those of us who have had stained white MacBooks will know there is nothing you can do to get rid of the stains. Likewise, the black models get shiny areas through wear - and that shine shows up big time because the rest of the black MacBook is matt. The shine can't be removed either.

Teddy's

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
Toronto
Prevention, solution 1: get marware's protection pack or similar
Reaction, solution 2: just get the macbook shine where it is not :D

mikesk8

macrumors member
May 17, 2006
Helsinki
scgf said:
Hmm. I have been waiting for a MacBook Pro upgrade too. I sold my white MacBook because of the stains appearing where my wrist rested on the top surface. I had already had the top replaced by Apple.

I went to the Apple Store in London with the intention of buying a black MacBook, but the state of all the MacBooks was terrible. The White ones were all stained, and the black ones had shiny track-pads and all the most common keys were shiny. They looked a mess. Meanwhile, the MacBook Pros all looked in perfect condition. That really made me think I'd be better off with the Pro.

I appreciate the display models would have been handles by everyone, with sticky fingers etc. but they were a good indication of what they might look like after an extended period of time. The shiny track-pads and keys had nothing to do with dirt, and everything to do with wear.

I might have to buy the current model of MBP since I can't wait much longer. I'm having to use a Windows laptop for now and it is awful!

There are few Blackbooks at my office..everybody else is using Thinkpads (plenty of them:) to be earnest they look like IBM/Lenovo ones; just the charger is huge white...nothing special among Thinkpads..MBP would rock!

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
scgf said:
I don't think it is a problem with the Apple Store as such. Those of us who have had stained white MacBooks will know there is nothing you can do to get rid of the stains. Likewise, the black models get shiny areas through wear - and that shine shows up big time because the rest of the black MacBook is matt. The shine can't be removed either.

Apple addressed this problem. Why didnt you send yours in?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.