Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tim2006

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 18, 2006
I am in the market for a new notebook. I do not do any heavy computing. I am looking at both the macbook and macbook pro. I do word processing, email, web surfing, and itunes. I do have a 20 imac. My concern is the macbook screen is too small. Anyone have any advice or additional reasons to go with one over the other?

Thanks

jaxstate

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2006
For word processing, email web surfing, and iTunes, I would say a MBP would be overkill. The screen on the MB is ok as far as size wise.
tim2006 said:
I am in the market for a new notebook. I do not do any heavy computing. I am looking at both the macbook and macbook pro. I do word processing, email, web surfing, and itunes. I do have a 20 imac. My concern is the macbook screen is too small. Anyone have any advice or additional reasons to go with one over the other?

Thanks

Jan 30, 2006
the screen size of the macbook seems small at first, I had a 15" before and I thought that anything smaller than that was a waste of money.

but now I realize that the size is perfect (at least for college its perfect).

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
The macbook is essentially tailor-made for you. You'll appreciate the portability, especially if you have a nice desktop for at-home work.

Arnaud

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2005
The Moon
In your case, I'd go for the Macbook, the MBP is expensive for higher features you don't need.

Do you plan to keep the iMac 20"? If so, you can always go back to it for space-needy works. Although if it's a pre-Intel iMac, you might prefer the Macbook.

Regarding the screen, well, the Macbook's screen is not that small, although it has a smaller resolution than your iMac or the wide MBP... However, a big screen is comfortable, but if you want your notebook to be portable, you might want to keep it "small". I always think that the biggest versions of the MBP might be for people who need to impress their clients, or for people who don't really plan to move around a lot. My iBook G3 12" is crap for performances, but I like that I can just put it in my bag :)

EDIT: "I always think that the biggest versions of the MBP might be for people who need to impress their clients" with big, powerful presentations or slide shows (not with the size of their wallet !)

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Arnaud said:
"I always think that the biggest versions of the MBP might be for people who need to impress their clients" with big, powerful presentations or slide shows (not with the size of their wallet !)

Or for graphics professionals. I'm still debating what to do with my next mac purchase (which is a ways off). I had a 12" powerbook that I thought would be a perfect compromise of size and usability when paired with my external monitor at home, but I got tired of the tiny screen on the road.

Now I have a 15" PB that seems like an excellent setup, except that its notably less portable. I've been debating between the 15 and 17" MBP's for my next computer (fantasizing really, at this point; I don't plan to upgrade until probably this time next year) and somehow the 17" doesn't seem a ton bigger.

I don't move mine around a lot, but the 17" would work well for some who needs to know that they can carry it even if they don't often.

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005
I owned a 15" PB and a 12" PB and now I am an owner of a new MacBook. I have to say that although the 15" was nice it was not portable and was a waste of screen space. Thats why I traded it for a 12" and it was perfect to carry around everywhere.

When I bought a new MacBook I thought it would be too big to carry around, but what I pleasantly discovered was the the 13" widescreen was literally the perfect size, a perfect balance of portability and screen size. You seem to do a lot of the same things on your computer that I do (ie internet, iTunes, email), that is why I would highly recommend the MacBooks. Also, the MacBooks are a lot cheaper than the MBPs and are very close in terms of specs, the choice is definitely obvious. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.