macbook vs. macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nickkelbackk, Jul 14, 2006.

1. nickkelbackk macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    I have been looking at both the macbook pro and the macbook and I see that the graphics card in the two are completely differnet and I was wondering what the difference is between Vram and normal ram. thanks I hope you can aid me in my search as google brought me nothing
  2. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not sure if I understand you question properly, but VRAM is RAM dedictated to the video card (video ram), normal RAM is just that the RAM you normally use with your computer. So on the MacBook Pro you get dedicated graphics with 128 or 256 MB VRAM + the normal RAM you have installed in the system. On the MacBook the integrated video card takes RAM from your system RAM. So while you may have 512 MB of RAM installed you lose 64 MB to the video card.
  3. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    Also Vram for dedicated graphics chips are usually not that "normal" kind of ram, faster types of ram are traditionally used for graphics as compared to the rest of the computer.
  4. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

Jun 7, 2005
    For your purchase.....go with the macbook unless:

1) you play games
    2) you do lot's of graphics work
    3) I don't know....list what you use a computer for
  5. macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2007
    Just Decide This

Ok, I recommend that you just get a MacBook Pro, cuz don't you think that the only reason they would add the PRO to the end of it is because they modified the MacBook and made a better version?:apple:
  6. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6

Not to be rude, but is there a reason you resurrected a thread from almost a year ago? :confused:
  7. macrumors newbie

Apr 2, 2007

Right now I own a PC but it would be alot easier to make a website with a MacBook Pro but I have made a website and it is!:apple: :D :) :eek: :cool:
  8. tango554 macrumors member

May 6, 2007
    macbook vs macbook pro photoshop

Hey all,

I would be using the computer as my main system and for photoshop, probably final cut in the near future. Shooting with a Canon EOS 1D Mark II, a 30D and a rebel xt, lots of time in RAW.

I dont play games, animate stuff, but will soon start making movies in final cut pro. $64,000 question: if you had to buy now, macbook or macbook pro (15" 2.16)?
  9. coledog macrumors 6502a

Nov 14, 2006
    I would guess either a MB with 2gb RAM or a 2.16ghz MBP with only 1gb is needed. (because of the dedicated video card)
    How much portability will you need?? 13in vs 15in...? 15in is very nice because of the added screen space for video editing.

I would also recommend going through the Apple refurb store (if there are any listed) to save a couple hundred.
    My MBP came from there and so far zero problems, like new!
  10. InlawBiker macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2007
    For photography and photoshop I'd get the Pro. My wife has a white Macbook that I've been toying with. It's a good home/office computer for surfing, documents, email and etc. For doing real photoshop work on it'd drive me nuts - the screen is small (1280x800) and you'll want a dedicated graphics card to speed things up.

New new Macs are "expected" to be announced very soon, you might wait a week or two and see what they come out with. All of the major manufacturers have announced their next-gen laptops and HP has them for sale on their web site as of today. Apple will have no choice but to at least announce their new hardware pretty soon.

Once they do, look for people to be dumping their older MB Pro's for new models. The used market should become very active soon.

11. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    I've got both a black MacBook and the entry level MacBook Pro. Both are Intel Core 2 Duo. Got the MacBook in November for personal use and then ended up with the Pro for business in February.

Hands down, I prefer the Pro. The fit and finish on the MacBook Pro is of the highest quality. The MacBook is plastic, feels cheap, and is developing cracks after minimal use. I still like it, but I'm a little disappointment with the regular MacBook's overall quality. I have an iBook G3 500 that I got in 2001 and that thing was well built. You could drop it on a table with force and feel confident that it won't be damaged. Unfortunately, with the MacBook, I'm afraid to put it down gently on a soft surface.

In terms of graphics quality, I can't really say because I don't play games but I do know that the Pro has dedicated graphics ram whereas the MacBook shares its ram or something to that effect. This is noticable when you hook up the laptop to an external display. With the MacBook, if you have screen spanning turned on, you'll notice a choppier screensaver on both machines. However, with the Pro, there is virtually no difference.

You'll also notice that the Pro has a crisper screen. The resolution is much better and you'll notice this when comparing the two machines side by side. Go to an Apple Store to see it live.

If you like portability and 15" is just too large for you, go with the MacBook. Even though mine is cracking, it's still a good travel laptop to shove into a bag and get on your way. But if you prefer a more solid machine and if you are willing to spend the extra cash, get the Pro.

Note that I don't use my machines for game. I strictly use it for surfing, email, writing, music, and photo storage. Despite the fact that I'm not a graphics or video pro - nor do I play games - I still prefer the MacBook Pro.

My two cents.
  12. tango554 macrumors member

May 6, 2007
    I have a ibook g4 800 that i'll keep to carry around, so 15" not so big a deal. It looks like I need to join the line and just wait patiently before making a decision! Thanks guys, i'll let you know what happens.
  13. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Jul 15, 2005
    Clearly there is the age-old question regarding Macbook's convenient size but somewhat cheaper plastic structure and the MBP's less convenient but aluminum chassis. I have used both and will say the macbooks scratch but the MBPs can dent terribly.

However, I would also really like to stress how graphics cards really affect NOTHING in photoshop or Final Cut (except for motion). They are mostly dependent on CPU speed, RAM, and HDD speed. Check out these benchmarks

If it was me, I would get a Macbook with maxed out RAM. Honestly in my opinion, $500 or so is not worth a graphics card I would hardly use and a larger screen. If screen real estate is an issue, use that money towards a great monitor.
  14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    Photoshop isn't dependent on the video card, so nothing is sped up by having a dedicated card versus the MB's integrated graphics. The screen is the only valid argument to go pro for graphics/photography work, but really, in the difference you've paid to go pro, you could have bought a much bigger external display for cheaper.

I'd say that if you're just doing graphics work, you should go for the MB + an external monitor unless you're planning to do a lot of your work away from your desk.