MacBook w/ Matte Screen?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by coachingguy, Oct 3, 2006.

1. coachingguy macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Anyone wanna take a shot at the likelyhood of Apple updating the Macbook and giving the Macbook the same option of Matte Screen or Glossy?

I spent about a half an hour playing with both the black and white Macbook at a local Apple Store this past weekend. I was VERY aware of the overhead lights glistening off of the screens the whole time. I had to really play with the angle to get rid of that.

I find it annoying and since I do some digital photography I'm concerned about real colors. I've seen some other postings here about the photo concerns.

I hope Apple doesn't just allow that as a "Pro" option.

On a separate note, the Apple guy I was chatting with commented that they are selling more of the blackbook, but people have been coming back unhappy with the quick dulling of the trackpad and palm rest; which happened to be very evident on all of the display machines. Anyone with a blackbook notice this?

Coachingguy

2. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I ran a poll on this a couple days ago. Its really up in the air as to whether or not apple will offer the macbook screen in matt. I agree with you on the glare, it is noticeable, and its annoying. I suppose its good if your retarded and attracted to shiny objects. But as far as useability, blah. Ill take matt over gloss any day. Ill be in my cave...

3. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

It (glossy screen) would probably be more of a problem in a brightly-lit Apple Store than at work/home.

4. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

For the people who do photo work and can't afford more, I hope so!

5. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Funny, I have a macbook and love the glossy screen, I wish it was on the new 24" imacs......I would buy it today!

6. calculus Guest

calculus

Well I like the glossy screen. If you are going to call people 'retarded' at least learn the difference between 'your' and 'you're'!

7. timnosenzo macrumors 6502a

timnosenzo

LOL

I agree, I think glossy is WAY overrated. The matte screen on my MBP kicks ass...

8. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

Wow that's pretty funny. You're calling people retarded because of a personal preference, but you can't spell "matte" or "you're". Go ahead and stay in your cave.

9. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

Well, upgrading the processor better be high on Apple's list of priorities!
    The screen could be just below that! ;)

10. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I teach in a classroom with bright flourescent lights and the glare off of the glossy screen would drive me insane. As Apple appears to be all about the options these days IE: Black or White Macbooks, multi-hued iPods, Glossy or Matte screens on their Macbook pros etc...

Come on Apple share the love, give those who love the options and price of the Macbook one more option, especially if the pricing is the same as it appears to be via the Macbook pro line.

The more I think about the Blackbook... I thought I'd love it and have to have it (I loved my Pismo very much :) ), but after seeing it, not so much. Especially with a nearly $200 premium on it that is basically just for the color. I can get the White (which is a better white than the iBook IMHO) for less.

Coachingguy

11. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

a teacher surely should be able to differentiate between IE and i.e.

i'm sure it has been mentioned before, but just to reiterate

IE stands for Internet Explorer, if you are too mac headed, it's the web browser made by Microsoft

i.e. stands for id est, in english: "that is" which is i blieve what you meant

12. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Glossy Screen

On my mums toshiba laptop, which im using now, it has a glossy screen and I am sat next to a window and the glare is horrible, macbooks would be great without a glossy screen

-jake

13. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Yes i know how to spell. Was that YOUR question? :p Relax its all in good fun. I wasnt calling everyone who likes the gloss screen retarded. I was just making a fun point. Chill out and dont take it so personal.

14. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

I know the difference, and considering i got an A on my 100 page thesis paper in college, i think i know how to spell. You telling me to learn the difference between your and you're is about as "useless as a hole in the head". But hey, thanks for the great advice. Ill make sure i remember that lesson when im writing my next research paper in grad school. By the way professor Calculus have you ever written a 100 page paper?

15. skipsandwichdx macrumors regular

I'm reasonably sure no one cares.

16. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

is an "A" in a 100 page paper the ONLY thing you can be proud of in your life? gosh, get a life.

as if that's not sad enough, you have to stick that in MR as if we should all bow down to that... pathetic

and you still have the face to say you know the difference when you clearly spelled it wrong... i mean, it's not even like you hit the key beside the one you intended, "you're" is too far away from "your" on a keyboard.

17. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

Sometimes we forget how much free time some people have... IE: the aforementioned quote. I could argue that IE has not always stood for Internet Explorer unless you're totally Windoze headed. I could also argue that outside of the computer world, IE and i.e. have the same cannotation. In addition, not all people who teach in classrooms are English teachers there are other subjects that do not require specialization in the grammar of the English language.

this is from dictionary.com

WordNet - Cite This Source
    I.E.

ie adv : that is to say; in other words [syn: i.e., id est, that is]

WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University

Have a great day!

Coachingguy

18. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

are you telling me proper spelling is equivalent to specialization in the grammar of the English Language? I dare ask, what subject do you teach? if the american secondary educators are all like yourself, no wonder our secondary education isn't as good as other countries.

and teacher doesn't have unbiased respect (i.e. Windoze)? tsk tsk

it's connotation, not cannotation... safari has a spell checker, use it.

sO, dOeS tHiS lOoK cOmForTaBlE tO y0u?

i use too much sarcasms.
    edit :D yes, typo, at least i dont proclaim to have an A in 100 pg paper, nor do i use the excuse that i dont specialize in english language

19. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

is the glossy that bad with the glare? i think i've seen it and the glare isn't that bad.

20. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I don't understand how writing 100 pages for a thesis can in any way imply that you can spell? Have you ever seen those kids at spelling Bee competitions who can spell unusual latin words but have never written a 100 page paper?

yt

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

:D

typo?

22. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

23. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Guy's Please Stop... I really love the glossy screen any chance the Apple will add them to the reast of the line?????

24. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Like they'll listen to anyone. Grammar on the Internet is terrible, and it's about time that some people get called out on it.

I hate the glossy screens. They've got such a terrible glare on them. It's like using a CRT monitor...

25. coachingguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

coachingguy

I must say, that certainly was fun.:D I've watched these grammar/spelling feeding frenzies from afar for many years. This was my first time actually being a part of one. I could have just left it alone...but no, I had to jump in.;)

As for the Matte/Glossy screen debate, lets just leave it that some prefer the Glossy, some prefer the Matte and others just want the choice.

Have a Great Daye...J/K :)

Coachingguy