Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
My MacBook has begun to misbehave: if I try to wake it up - set to require a password to wake - it sometimes just locks up with a black screen. The only way to sort it out is to do a hard restart, which of course knackers the iPod attached. Anyone else have this, and/or a solution?

czaffa

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
I too occasionally have this problem. The firmware update (which I have installed) is meant to deal with random restarts, not forced hard restarts. I don't have my computer set to require a password, but if I closed it and it goes to sleep, then open it later it will sometimes 'wake' in the sense that you can hear the fan/drives working, but there is nothing on the screen. I'm not sure it's related but I've also have problems where the computer will sometimes not go to sleep when it is closed. Not sure if this is related.

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Have you got FileVault and "Log out after __ minutes" enabled? Way back when I first got my Powerbook I had all the security options enabled, and having these two would cause problems. It would try to log out, but as FileVault prompts you when you do that, it never got past a black screen.

Unless you really need it, I'd just turn off FileVault, it causes all sorts of problems.

If that's not it, I've got no idea.

czaffa

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
Here are the stats of my computer:

Black MacBook
Core Duo, 2GHz
1GB RAM (stock from apple, not 3rd party)
Up to date software (10.4.8, SMC 1.4f12)
Boot ROM Version MB11.005F.B00 (no clue what that means or if it is relevant)
No file vault activated. Not doing anything unusual with the machine.

How can you tell what week your computer is?

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
Not sure on how to tell what week it is. Twice now, my sister's MacBook (1.83GHz, 1GB) has been very slow if it's opened right after being closed. (eg forgot to do somthing before sleeping it) It has a black screen for a minute or more even, but if you're patient, it loads up as it should.

No problems whatsoever with my Core2 MacBook Pro yet...

You could always try shutting it down, taking the battery out and unplugging it, and then holding down the power button for 10 seconds. After that, put it back in, and turn it on holding Command, Option, P and R until you hear the Apple chime three times. Once it loads up, repair permisisons. Maybe that'll sort it.

I had a very strange issue with my Core2 MBP and doing this sorted it. (I couldn't type a capital i if I used the left shift key - everything else worked, and changing keyboard layouts or restarting did nothing - didn't even work for the firmware password)

skunk

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan
OK, update time. After doing a bit of research, I have found that the usual cause of this sleep problem, at least on MacBooks, is plugging or unplugging anything during sleep, or closing the lid without waiting for it actually to go to sleep, then immediately picking it up: this causes the SMS to park the drive mid-process, hence the confused behaviour on waking.
The answer is to wait until the sleep light starts pulsing before picking it up, and never to plug anything in or out during sleep. The poor little things are obviously easily confused.

richard4339

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Illinois
Both MacBook Pro's I've had recently suffered from it, both a 2.0ghz MBP CD running OS X 10.4.8, and a new C2D MBP I recently upgraded to, running OS X 10.4.8...

vader26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Seattle
Both MacBook Pro's I've had recently suffered from it, both a 2.0ghz MBP CD running OS X 10.4.8, and a new C2D MBP I recently upgraded to, running OS X 10.4.8...

I had the same thing happen with my CD MBP (refirb). Though it wasn't just waking from sleep, sometimes if it had been shutdown for awhile and i would try to start it, the black screen would just stare at me for a long time, then a hard reboot would fix it. I tried resetting the PMU, zapping pram, reinstalling osx, nothing worked. So this, coupled with the aluminum being bent out above the latch and just about every other problem people have discussed about rev. A MBP's, caused apple to call it DOA and i got a refund.

On a C2D MBP now and no sign of the problem :)

jfh

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
try always turning on screensaver

I had this problem for a while, then I tried always turning on screensaver before I closed the macbook lid. Since then, so far, the problem has not recurred.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.