MacBook Warranty

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sionharris, Nov 10, 2006.

1. sionharris macrumors regular

The UK HE MacBook Warranty has recently been extended from 1 year to 3 years.

Previously it was an obvious choice to buy AppleCare for £57 but now I am struggling to understand the key differences between the 3-year Warranty and 3 years worth of AppleCare.

Can anybody help?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Hmm, that's interesting. I just checked the HE Warranty for here in Canada and it appears to still be the standard 1 year with 90 days of phone support. If it did indeed get bumped up to 3 years though that's pretty impressive - and as you say, makes buying APP not quite as appealing.

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

It's only 3 years in the UK :p

The free 3 years is essentially AppleCare "basic". You get 90 days phone support, and I've heard that you don't get on-site support (although haven't had that confirmed, and in any case with full AppleCare it's only for desktops and even then at Apple's discretion, so not proper on-site support like you'd get with a corporate level warranty).

The biggest problem is that you don't get anything in writing with the free warranty, and your serial number shows your Mac only having 1 year warranty.

I've asked before if anyone has ever had to challenge Apple on this, but no-one has responded.

Personally, given that full AppleCare is a poor extended warranty anyway when compared with other computer manufacturers offerings, I wouldn't pay extra for it.

4. sionharris thread starter macrumors regular

Could you elaborate on this? Other manufacturers may offer more but that doesn't necessarily mean that AppleCare isn't worth buying.

5. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Other warranties I've purchased/used (e.g. Compaq, HP, Toshiba) have had contractual response and fix times e.g. next day on-site. AppleCare has none of this - Apple can, and often do, take bloody ages to fix any hardware problems. That's why I recommend not bothering paying an extra £57. Just stick with the free 3 years.

6. zhd05 macrumors newbie

Ive just bought a Macbook pro from the HE store at Uni, and I didnt pay any extra for the warranty. As far as I understand Im covered for 3 years, but if anything happens Il have to take it in to a Apple store rather than send it through the post. Again, theres nothing in writing, so im curious how you would prove to them you are covered for 3 years??

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Good question, and one which I've not found an answer to.