Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
Hello,

I just bought a new MacBook (2.0 GHz C2D/1GB/SuperDrive) and am noticing that the vertical viewing angle is quite poor. I find myself constantly needing to bend my neck down so the screen looks less washed out towards the bottom of the screen. Is there any way to rectify this problem? I tried increasing the gamma to 2.2 which helped slightly, but not much. I was thinking of just exchanging the MacBook for a MacBook Pro if there is no way to resolve this issue since the screen seems to be of higher quality. Any comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I just got mine today. Same exact specs and it doesn't seem to be washed out at all. Hope everything improves.

kanpachi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2005
I just got mine today. Same exact specs and it doesn't seem to be washed out at all. Hope everything improves.

Interesting, even Wikipedia sites this problem:

"Another problem reported by some MacBook owners is the uneven illumination of the MacBook´s glossy display. In reviews by computer magazines and websites, the display was sometimes criticized as having too narrow a viewing angle (particularly in the vertical direction), unsatisfying colour saturation and below-average colour contrast, compared to other glossy laptop displays."

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
Well, I know my PowerBook doesn't have a great vertical viewing angle, but at least the color shift is even. How close are you to the screen, and can you adjust its angle in either direction to help?

whawhat

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2006
Hello,

I just bought a new MacBook (2.0 GHz C2D/1GB/SuperDrive) and am noticing that the vertical viewing angle is quite poor. I find myself constantly needing to bend my neck down so the screen looks less washed out towards the bottom of the screen. Is there any way to rectify this problem? I tried increasing the gamma to 2.2 which helped slightly, but not much. I was thinking of just exchanging the MacBook for a MacBook Pro if there is no way to resolve this issue since the screen seems to be of higher quality. Any comments would be greatly appreciated - thanks.

just got a new macbook (2.0 ghz c2d/2 gb/superdrive) last week and have the same problem. i have to open the lid almost all the way just to get an unwashed viewing angle. looked all over the internet to see if there was any solution but unfortunately found no solution.

because i also have/use pb g4 ti, pb g5 and 23" acd, i am accustomed to matte screens and the glossy screen is quite a change. after using the macbook for a week now, i have to admit i notice it a lot less but hope someone on this board has a solution (other than return as my macbook has been problem free and i am hesitant to trade mine in!)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Interesting, even Wikipedia sites this problem:

"Another problem reported by some MacBook owners is the uneven illumination of the MacBook´s glossy display. In reviews by computer magazines and websites, the display was sometimes criticized as having too narrow a viewing angle (particularly in the vertical direction), unsatisfying colour saturation and below-average colour contrast, compared to other glossy laptop displays."

Regardless, the colour saturation is fine. It's just the vertical viewing angle that makes it hard to do any sort of colour related work on this computer. I'm not a pro so I don't make my money off of my MBs screen, but I do photography and it's a bit hard to make adjustments.

I find that sitting a bit further away from the keyboard helps. I mean, I still sit within arms reach of the keyboard, but not as close as I normally would when I'm using Lightroom to make adjustments to photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.