MacBook White or MacBook Black

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Croatian, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Croatian macrumors 6502

my brother has this dilema on witch macbook he should get

i told him to go for white and 2gb memory but he always finds a reason to go for black and more memory and spend more money, so i figure what u guys would do if u were in his case

Option One - MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Black with 120GB Hard Drive and 2GB Memory for $1,859.00 canadian

Option Two - MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White with 80GB Hard Drive and 2GB Memory for $1,659.00 canadian

For $200 extra he is gonna spend he can get bigger then a 40gb hard drive he is getting with option on

what do u guys think

2. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

This thread may be relevant to your dilemma:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=250723

Really, you are paying a premium for black. If you upgrade the White to the Black specs (upgrade hard drive), you are spending a little more, but not much. So, it's really a matter of personal preference.

Everyone with an Apple notebook pretty much has white. However, almost all PC notebooks are Black/Grey. So, they have to decide which crowd they want to stand out from :).

I hope that helps.

3. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

Go for black!

It... erm... radiates heat better. Yeap that's right, black is a radiator. :D

4. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

5. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

For the money, a White MacBook with 2 GB RAM and the perpendicular 160 GB
    HD would be my choice.

Now if you're doing presentations and professional image is a big issue, then maybe go for the BlackBook or a Mac Book Pro.

6. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

true, but some people just buy based on color

7. jessep28 macrumors 6502

jessep28

So true. I almost did yesterday.

8. macg4 macrumors 6502a

macg4

yeah if i was gonna buy a macbook i would go black because of the color

9. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

I'd be waiting for the C2D MacBook Pro refurbs if I was going for image.
    That gets you RAM, hard drive space, screen space and dedicated GPU.

I undertstand quite a few people really like the BlackBook simply because the image
    is more masculine where some feel that the White MacBook looks a bit too feminine
    for some people.
    My youngest daughter also prefers the BlackBook, just because it looks cooler to her and for no other reason. Her older sisters are fine with their White iBook and
    MacBook and just happy to be out of Windows XP land.

Once you wrap it in a sleeve, it really doesn't matter all that much.

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

But if you hang with the "apple crowd" then you may want to buy a black macbook since many laptop/desktop users have the white and or metallic look already. :cool:

11. Mindgame macrumors newbie

I think they both look great out of the box -- I just want to know which one holds up better. In the short term (under one year) I've seen that the white gets dirt stains on it that don't come off and that the black constantly looks greased up with fingermarks. But what of the long term? I've heard of the paint on the keys of the white chipping and the black pealing at the mouse track ball. Can anyone confirm these rumors? I'm not purchasing based on initial looks, but longevity.

Only if they made a MBP in 13"...

12. kentrox99 macrumors member

I have a black macbook and my g/f has a white macbook.
    I honestly can't decide which one I like best. My advise is to get your friend to physically look at them at an apple store is possible

13. Gamdoan macrumors newbie

Gamdoan

I ordered a black one the other day. First reason, I just plain think the black looks nicer. My iBook has been called Fisher Price too many times. The Black MacBook looks like something my PC using friends won't want to meet in a dark alley :D

Second reason, I am a business school student, and the black does look more professional. And I do tons of presentations.

I thought about a MBP, but I chose not to go with that because: After trying out a MacBook at a nearby reseller, I like the keyboard better than the MBP. Also, Plastic doesn't dent, aluminum does (I've seen it done). Finally, 15 inches is too big to comfortably use in class.

Black was definitely a color preference, and I wish there wasn't a black tax, but there is, so I paid it. Which means that Apple's lure is working, and the black tax shall remain.

14. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

At least the tax isn't AS much anymore.. bit more reasonable with the new revisions, I'd say.

Anyways, to the OP: Really it comes down to preference. Does your brother prefer one over the other? If he doesn't, then he should go for the white. Why would you pay extra for something that doesn't matter to you? Also, does he need to appear more professional in some cases, or is this just a school lappy? Black is definitely more professional looking than white.

Also, just to note: the black picks up smudges and fingerprints ridiculously easy. But, comparatively, the white picks up scratches like crazy.. and if not well taken care of, can eventually stain (white things get dirty.. a laptop is no different!). Just a few more things to consider..

15. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I'd go white. It's a better deal and I like the color better.

16. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i like black. i also think it helps the contrast of the screen in a sense as well (a nice black border)

18. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

It really seems like a preference question as opposed to there being a distinct advantage of one over the other. I bought a 4GB Silver Nano (even though I wanted the 8) since I didn't like black or red as much. I have to say that the black MBs look really nice, but my budget would take the white one over the black any day if I were in the market.

19. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

Grakkle

White is really the best colour. It's more unique. Besides, girls always want to mess around with the white Macbooks. Who knows, you might meet somebody!

(Or he might meet somebody, that is...)

20. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

TequilaBoobs

Once u go black u never go back!

Black!!! I bought mine this past Wednesday... the accompanying bragging rights and right to be holier than whitebooks are priceless!