MacBook: White vs Black

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macrockbuddy, Feb 29, 2008.

1. macrumors member

All prices are using education discount. Midrange MacBook (white) costs $1199. Next upgrade is Blackbook for $1399. My only question is why not buy midrange and pay the extra $90 for 250GB HD upgrade and get exact same specs as BlackBook for $110 dollars cheaper. Are people really willing to pay $110 for a color.

2. macrumors 6502

3. macrumors regular

Luzzio

Edit: Mistake with pricing.

I wouldn't. Would love to be able to splurge that much on pure aesthatics, but wouldn't.

4. macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

I would get the white MacBook if it had the same matte finish as the black MacBook. That scratchy plastic is crap IMO...

5. thread starter macrumors member

from what I can tell (very limited experience), black shows grease and fingerprints, and if not taken care of white shows scratches. Why not pay less & have less routine maintenance. This is all speculation, just looking for answers. Thanks

6. macrumors regular

Beowulf666

Well as dumb as it might sound paying an extra $150 or however much it is for a black laptop, think about this, people buy clothes with a check mark or the letters "AE" written on them, and pay an extra $50-100 more. Does it really change the way you wear it or how it feels? no, it just matters about how it looks, and people are willing to pay more just for the satisfaction of having a product that looks better.

7. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

Black is cool. I think if standard color was black white would then be cool.

8. macrumors newbie

i think it for people that want other people to know they spend 1400 for it and no cheaper.

9. thread starter macrumors member

So BlackBooks are a fad and those who own em are like those lil Abercrombie models only for Apple.

10. macrumors regular

Beowulf666

sure why not? it really makes no difference to me.

11. thread starter macrumors member

This is not what I meant for this thread. Didnt mean to bash blackbook owners (sorry). Just wanted to know if there was a reason for the price difference.

12. macrumors 65816

Not really, other than the BlackBook gets a higher spec as standard.. but yeah, you pay more for the colour. The finish on the BlackBook is also different but I dunno if you can actually justify the price difference through that alone.

I'll admit, I paid the extra, I wanted a macbook, but I didn't actually like the white plastic-y finish of the white macbook, the Black one looked a hell of a lot nicer if you ask me.

13. macrumors member

i just bought a blackbook and absolutely love it. i really didn't like the way the white one looked and thought the black was at least 100x better looking. my reasoning part of the reason i'm getting a macbook is for the looks so i could either pay $1300 for a computer i sort of liked or $1500 for a computer i absolutely love. plus i'm going to be using the computer all the time for the next few years so whatever you do, get something you won't regret later on. i have no regrets whatsoever about my decision.

they're not really a fad. just think of them as another BTO option. and all apple products have a big apple logo on them so we're all pretty much "lil Abercrombie models" :p

14. macrumors regular

sellitman

For the same or close to the same amount of a "Blackbook" I would buy a Reconditioned Pro instead.

15. macrumors 603

zelmo

We got our daughter a rev A Blackbook for HS graduation/college. I wanted to get her the white one but I finally realized that if she keeps it for four years it was worth spending an extra $100 or so beyond equivalent spec to make her that much more satisfied every time she looked at it.
    Surprisingly [for my tech-destroying daughter], she has kept in in remarkable shape for almost two years now, as she proudly points out to me every time she comes home from school.

16. macrumors 68020

Hankster

Some people really prefer black laptops. Some people just don't care for the white color, and if you plan on using your MB you may as well get one in a color you want. I have the white MB and love it, I wouldn't get the black one just because I don't need the specs and from what I've seen the black one gets dirtier faster. I wipe down my white MB every few days with a alcohol wipe and it stays clean.

17. macrumors 6502

I just got a refurb black MacBook and the price was only $50 more than the white model plus it has a larger hard drive. If I would have bought a new one I most likely would have bought a white one.

18. macrumors regular

canucks-17

The maintenance is not less IMO. The black one shows grease, yes, but I have had a lot of problems keeping my White MB clean. The magic eraser does the trick but my friend has the black one and doesn't ever need to clean it or worry about scuffs. It does also look sharper IMO. Just my $.02.

19. macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Go for the black one! It looks cooler, and comes with a bigger hard drive.

20. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

As an owner of both BlackBook & White MB...

I've experienced both sides of the fence and there seems to be greener pastures on both sides! I bought my White MB, which had the same specs as the BlackBook, but was $300 cheaper with the education discount. I went the next couple of months having my friends commenting on my "feminine-side" and my White MB looked really "cute!" Recently, I went through airport security and the "dorks" playing TSA security rubbed my White MB with their reddish/pinkish cloths and left a couple of smudges near the touchpad and spacebar, and it took several wipe-downs and scrubbings with iKlear and the polishing cloth to remove it. Well, just 3-days ago, I switched-out to the new BlackBook 2.4 Penryn 250GB, only because the Apple Store didn't have the White MB configured to my specs, but the BlackBook did, so I chose the BlackBook and walked out of the Store with BlackBook in hand, while NOT having to pay the $300 difference. The Apple Store Manager wanted to make my shopping experience enjoyable, and not have me come back to pick-up my White MB in about 2-3 days. Now that's CUSTOMER SERVICE! Anyway, day 3 of BlackBook has been uneventful; I wipe my BlackBook down as if it was my iPhone; which is about 10X a day, (obsessive compulsive in a good way?) but the extra space on my hard drive is just sitting there staring back at me, wondering when I'm going to utilize his/her remaining 198GB. The BlackBook is faster, the keyboard is a dream come true, and the wireless seems to connect faster and locate more wireless connections wherever I go, and it looks "snappy and sleek" as some of my friends have described. Yes, The DARKSIDE is my future and now I'm getting all the Star Wars comments thrown at me like spare change in front of the local Starbucks! I miss my White MB, but that's only because I babied it and when I turned it over to the Apple Store Manager, it was described as "Immaculate" and "Clean" by the SM and the Genuis' hopefully I can do the same justice to my new BlackBook. PM me if you have any other questions or comments. :p

21. macrumors 601

I'm going to BestBuy tomorrow night to get a MacBook.

I had my mind all set on getting a Black one but then I was noticing the only difference between the middle MB and the black one was the hard drive.

Then I noticed that BestBuy was selling all three old MacBooks for $999, $1049 and the Black for $1099 and almost made up my mind to buy one. Then I realized that I really do want to buy one of the new ones. I then made up my mind to buy the white one for $1299 but then now after reading this thread, I do want the black one again but then the white one could be cheaper and do I really care about the smaller drive?

Ok fine. I'll go down and just look at them Sunday and then decide. :D Either way, I'll be coming home with one so that my MBP can have a friend to play with when I'm not home. :)

....and then I can finally dump my windows machines. :)

22. macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

You brought tears to my eyes...

'cause I went through the same dilemma just three days ago, with the exception of the MBA as another alternative. Good Luck with your purchase on Sunday. :cool:

23. macrumors regular

Akula971

I just bought a Black one too. No regrets, the white one looked a bit plasticy, and really stood out a bit too much. I paid the extra for the black and needed the extra disk space too. Sure I could have bought a white one and upgraded the HD myself, but quite honestly for me time is more important than a few pounds. If you are short of a few bob, get what you can. Same applies to cars, you only need a very basic model to get from A to B, but people like to be different, so they might buy a Merc or BMV when really all they need is a Skoda.

I suppose what we people are telling the rest of the world is that we have considerably more money than you! (Harry Enfield character)

And do remember:- Flash the cash, get the gash!

24. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

White seems to wear better over time. My black has a shiny trackpad, keys and wrist area after a years heavy use. It also shows lots of fingerprints as stated above. Small scratches at least can be buffed out w. white and show up less than greasy prints IMO.

25. macrumors 6502

Jpoon

Do they sell the magic erasers at Apple stores?
    I'll have to stop by the Memphis location to pick it up if they do.