Macbook WiFi Range

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Garrettc87, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Garrettc87 macrumors newbie

Today I have been playing around with my macbook and I am currently connected to the internet by a hotspot right next to my house. The problem is that I only get 2 bars in my strength meter (airport icon). What can I do to add range to my laptop? Would I add an antenna directly to my macbook, and how, or would I buy a reciever unit for the signal and transfer data to/from that with ethernet. Thanks, and any product suggestions would be great! thanks.

2. dualcore macrumors member

dualcore

maybe a wifi expander thing, it just takes the wifi signal and spreads if farther.

3. squirrelist macrumors member

squirrelist

Exactly. Get an AirPort Express and put the express within solid range of the access point. It will re-broadcast the signal. Just be sure that the AP is yours or that you have permission to piggy back off of it. Just read an article about a guy who was arrested for parking outside a coffee shop to use their complementary WiFi every day without buying coffee.

BTW - my experience so far with my MacBook is that it has by far the best WiFi reception I've seen so far.