Macbook will not start it starts up with a flashing folder with a question mark

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maccy mac, Sep 22, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

Help my Macbook wont start-up. When I switch it on it comes up with a flashing folder with a question mark in. I have been advised to start from my Mac OS X installation disk.

However, the website says
    "Insert your Mac OS X installation disc (if you have discs with both versions, use whichever is closest to the Mac OS X version installed on your Mac; do not use a startup disc which came with a different Mac or which contains an earlier version of Mac OS X)."

My original installation disks are Mac OS X 10.4. But I have been upgrading my system. My last upgrade was to Mac OS X 10.6.

Which disk do I use? Do I use the 10.6, as this is the one with the current operating system or do I use 10.4 as this was the original disk that was bought with the macbook.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Dead Hard Drive.
    Use 10.6

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I will have a look at those forums and will try the 10.6 disk. Thanks for all your help.

5. macrumors member

try this
    hold down the cmd and r button when you hear the sound after turning the machine on - that will take you to the internet connectivity to be able to download the OS the machine came with - it can take a while to do

6. macrumors 68030

DeltaMac

You should notice that this thread started (and stopped) about five years ago.
    Also, the OP had 2 posts 5 years ago, and never returned.

Finally, a Macbook (or any Mac) that shipped with some version of Tiger (OS X 10.4.x) is too old to boot to internet recovery.

CoastalOR likes this.
  7. macrumors 603

I think this fellow must have gotten it up and running by now!