Macbook Wireless Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CNU182, Oct 2, 2006.

1. CNU182 macrumors regular

In regards to a friend's house--
    They have a wireless router setup ( a linksys ) with 3 seperate windows laptops connected wirelessly and a desktop connected directly to the router.

Whenever I connect to their network with the correct WEP key, the internet will work for about 5-10 minutes. Then all of the machines on the network will cease to get out to the internet. The signal won't drop or anything of that nature, everything will say connected, but browsers including mine will lag at the "connecting" mark. This in turn causes them to have to reset the router.

This only happens when I connect my macbook to the network. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Are you running any file sharing apps? What apps are you running that use the internet? :)

3. CNU182 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's either a router issue or a service issue. I would say that this has nothing to do with your MacBook.

5. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Yeah. If it's affecting all machines on the network, it's likely not a Macbook issue.

Although mine does seem to have trouble with our Linksys running DD-WRT firmware.

6. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

As I understand it, it's affecting all the machines on the network, but only when the Macbook is connected.

I've seen something like this before at work - which is usually all-Mac - when a Windows computer was connected. Never traced the cause, though.

7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Hey guy, Ask your friend if they get bumped off when you are not there or it only happens when you connect.

The router might need an update...They should check the setting in the router as well.

Bless

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Make sure the router is running the latest appropriate firmware and also maybe try changing the broadcast channel. :)

9. zmk007 macrumors newbie

wifi on with AC power

You would think its a router issue, but funny as it is my macbook drops its wifi connections only when on battery power. When its plugged into AC power I am assured a reliable and solid connection. I am connected using a wirelress G with 64bit WEP encrytion. Weird....huh?