Macbook without MacOsX possible ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mgsolidsnak3, Mar 31, 2007.

1. mgsolidsnak3 macrumors member

Hello,

I am thinking of buying a macbook and I was wondering if its possible to completely uninstall macosx and use bootcamp to have winXP & debian.
    I really don’t want macosx wasting HD space.

(Why choose a macbook if I don’t want macosx, simply because with student discount is much cheaper compared to a same spec non-mac laptop).

Thanks.

2. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

That's like buying a 70,000 car and asking the dealer to please remove the engine in favor of a 15,000 car.

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

Either get a PC for your Windows uses or use Boot Camp along with Mac OS X as a dual boot machine. You could also check out Parallels.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Just leave it on there, I wouldn't recommend removing it.

5. stevehp macrumors 6502

if thats your logic, then you can get a cheaper PC laptop, guaranteed.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, to provide you with an answer:

NO

Windows is not sold or supported by Apple, and it will not run on it's own anyway.

You should look at some PCs, or try using Mac OS X.

7. mgsolidsnak3 thread starter macrumors member

I don’t want to start a war macos vs win vs linux

I just want to know if its possible.

I have made quite some research (UK) and I can’t find a c2d 12”-13” laptop for ₤700uk, so if you can find one please post a link (but known brands non generic laptops)

I have windows XP, I don’t care if its not officially supported or sold by apple

So is it possible?

Thanks

8. Jarcrew macrumors 6502

Jarcrew

I don't think you can completely delete OS X... you can certainly give Windows the larger partition...

Why you'd want to is beyond me, though.

9. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Well, I just told you it's not.

No.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

You should keep the mac side in order to download firmware updates if nothing else...

11. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

A friend of mine can book his mac pro from a hard disk which is only NTFS. So i'm pretty sure you can format the drive and use a full size XP partition. There will be problems with Linux though. However there are ways around this.

12. infz macrumors member

infz

That sounds like a good idea, just shrink down its partition to something reeeally minimal. But I don't get why everyone here is saying it's not possible to remove MacOS X. What's the reason for this? Or is everyone just bashing Windows/Linux to try and convert the OP to MacOS?

I know people that use Linux (Debian I believe, possibly Ubuntu) on their ibooks. As the _only_OS_. So I don't know what it is that some of you think changed with the macbooks.

13. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I doubt that very, very much. Check out Dell.

14. sturigdson macrumors regular

Not to mention that it's very likely you're going to have inevitable hardware conflicts using a bootcamp-only solution. Bootcamp is, after all, still in Beta.

Seems like a pointless exercise, mgsolidsnak3, and also one that won't get much sympathy on these boards.

Also, is it interesting to anybody else that a regular meme from doubters on these boards is how much more mac hardware costs in comparison to PCs, yet mgsolidsnak3 has the exact opposite problem? Interesting to me, at least.

15. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

efi is your problem here, windows does not support it, if you are tech savvy you could prob install some kind of boot loader that supports efi such as grub, so that would be the area to start looking in but if you have no intentions on using osx i agree with the others, get a PC, itll save a LOT of hasttle, never did i ever here my self saying that lmao

16. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

He can get a PC laptop of similar specs to the MacBook's for less than £700 easily. I think he just wants the uber sexiness of a MacBook with the dirty, dirty in'ards of Windows.

:p

17. suneohair macrumors 68020

suneohair

It is very interesting.

Also, I think most manufactuers have switched to Vista, so buying a notebook from Dell or other right now will get you Vista, OP seems to want XP.

If this is what you want to do, buy a Macbook and get a larger hard drive. Get the Mac OS install down in size (remove fonts, drivers, iLife, etc). And install Windows. It will be taking up space, but you do NEED whether you want to have it or not. Firmware at the very least, or BootCamp updates.

Also, I would wait til Leopard when BootCamp will be a final product.

18. maxrobertson macrumors 6502a

You can if you install BootCamp and then boot up with the XP Cd and format the entire Mac (C?) drive.

However, at least try Mac OS X. It's a great OS

19. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

You idiots telling him no are just jerks.

Its totally possible. You can format the drive NFTS totally and just install Windows. Install the bootcamp drivers (they can be downloaded) and you've got a 100% functional, attractive Windows machine.

20. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I imagine he is, like, wanting to do this without doing much hacking. As in, will my Macbook run Windows as any other PC would?

No... and not only that, I've never actually seen or heard of anyone buy a Mac and totally remove Mac OS X to just have Windows. If anyone has done this, I'm sure it was a tremendous hassle. Also, if you'd ever want to get service to your system, you'd have to probably re-install Mac OS X to prove you didn't mess around with your machine really bad.

Not only that, it is WAY more financially practical to buy a PC. There are lots of attractive PCs. ThinkPads for example, or some Sonys.

21. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

I had to read that twice. :p

22. TheBrazilianGuy macrumors regular

I believe that software is what matters and making this move
    does not make much sense. Anyway, I see your point in installing
    Debian there. I installed Fedora in Mac Pros using rEFIt and
    I do not foresee any major issues doing the same with Macbooks.

As others have suggested, keeping OSX is not a bad thing. If it comes
    a day that you need extra room then you can shred it.

But...if you want to run Debian and Windows...get an Asus.
    They build awesome cases and their prices are much better.

23. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Yes, I've done. There was no hassle and no hacking. Bootcamp is basically out of beta (version 1.2) and there is nothing that doesn't work. It was one of the most pain free experiences of my life. Even bluetooth worked out of the box (while installing Windows, with no drivers installed)
    To clarify, bootcamp is not a program. It is a set of drivers. You do not need OSX installed to make use of them.

ITS POSSIBLE AND EASY DON'T LISTEN TO THESE IDIOTS.

24. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

Bootcamp is a partitioning program which is its main function. its not just a set of drivers...they're on the side.

25. CRAZYBUBBA macrumors 65816

CRAZYBUBBA