MacBook won't boot up after shutdown... WHY?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kiiat, Feb 4, 2007.

1. kiiat macrumors newbie

First off, let me just say I don't know why I waited to switch to Mac!! I love it!!

I've had this problem a few times where I do a complete shut down of the machine and then when I try to start it up again, it doesn't do anything. So I've had to take the battery out and put it back in and only then will the machine start up. Does anyone know why this happens??

2. islandman macrumors 6502

This is a new one. How long has this been happening? Are you sure it's not booting up and then going straight to sleep or screen-saver mode?

3. eenu macrumors 65816

eenu

This isn't the not waking from Sleep issue is it?

Have you fully updated the Macbook?

4. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

I used to have a similar problem with my MacBook. Sometimes I would close it before it was fully shut down, so it would go to sleep mid-shutdown. If this is the case, the sleep indicator light on the front of the case should be on. Open the MacBook, hold down the power button for about ten seconds. This will do a "force shutdown." Then push the power button again, and it should boot up normally, albeit with an error message when you first log in.

Hope that helps.

5. kiiat thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I'm 100% positive that the machine is not in Sleep mode - I always wait until the system fully shuts down before I close the lid. It's happened intermittently about 4 times since I bought it 6 months ago but because it's happened at irregular intervals, I never bothered to bring it in.