macbook wont eject DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by baka chinko, Jun 2, 2006.

1. baka chinko macrumors newbie

baka chinko

I put this relly scratched DVD in my 2 day old macbook, and I can't eject it. When I start up, it just whines like it's trying to read the DVD and wont boot up. I just get a blank white screen. Any advice?

2. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

I don't think a scracted disk would have anything to do with it. If you are just using the eject key try going in to OSX and manually eject the device in your options.

3. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

The eject key is the top right on the keyboard? If so, then I pushed it a ton of times.

I can't boot up to do anyhting else. One time it booted, but it just gives me the greyish Apple screen without the apple. I'm sure you can tell I'm new to Mac.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try holding the mouse button down (or the trackpad button) while you boot up. :)

5. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

Ok, I'ma t work now, but I'll try later. Say it boots up, then what? It doesn't recognize anything. It just keeps trying to read it. so I can't put anything in the trash can. Is there another way?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Difficult to say, but if you're having trouble booting or using OSX normally, try starting in Safe Mode. :)

7. baka chinko thread starter macrumors newbie

baka chinko

So after I go to safe mode, then what? Nothing happens when I push the eject key, and since it can't recognize the dvd, it doesn't show up on the desktop.

8. realityisterror macrumors 65816

realityisterror

in safe mode, you could use "eject" or "eject cdrom"
    and make sure you use "shutdown -h now" instead of just cutting off the power.

9. fekimoki macrumors member

fekimoki

my friend had a very similiar problem as yours
    he inserted paper labeled dvd to macbook and the dvd wont come out.
    he tried also the method that described on the book, troubleshooting (holds down trackpad while booting) but it didnt suceeded as well.

then he pack the macbook into its box, bring it to the store for fixing. and guess what, when the store technician brings out the mac from the box (cd tray position heading to earth), the jammed dvd just popped out.

and everybody had a big smile especially my friend that day.

WARNING: do not enter paper labeled dvd / cd into macbook.
    And you can also try rocking down the macbook so the cd tray heading to earth.

goodluck

ps: sorry bad english.

10. inlimbo macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem about a year ago. I tried all the above and it still didn't work.

So I turned off my powerbook and shut the lid. Then I picked it up in two hands and shook it from side to side a couple of times. Turned it back on, hit the eject button and presto the CD came out.

11. functionformer macrumors newbie

dvd ejected!

thanks folks!

i had a smiliar problem with my macbook pro. i had inserted a dvd+r under windows xp, windows crashed, so i shut down the system and powered it on again manually. the dvd would still be stuck in the drive, trying to read it while showing the empty grey boot screen. pressing the eject key, the left mouse button, the trackpad button and even resetting PMU all didn't help.

the only thing that helped is: holding the laptop with the cd slot facing downwards, turning it on and pressing the eject key.

strange world.
    markus

12. riel505 macrumors member

riel505

scary... my macbook is also two days old. i left this cd in the slot and i kinda moved it around, nothing much, just from the table to my lap... then i noticed that i forgot to remove the cd from last night. i clicked on it and viewed the cd in there. worked fine.however, i've been pressing 'eject' , maybe half a dozen times now, and nothing happens! i'm scared to shake the macbook... it's still new!!! :(

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Since the disc is still working, first try dragging it to the trash, try the Terminal commands in the thread above, also try fn Eject, try rebooting your MB and hold down eject during boot.

You shouldn't have to shake your MB.

B

14. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

On some pc's there is a little hole in the drive to insert the end of a paper clip in it. That pops open the drive. I haven't gotten a mac yet so I don't know about those.

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I know my iBook and iMac don't have those holes. I'm not sure about other Macs but I kinda assume they're the same. :eek:

16. riel505 macrumors member

riel505

no shaking done! i restarted and tried dragging the disc to trash. it did the trick! i just thought that pressing eject would function the same way as dragging the disc icon to thrash.

savanhrose and madjew -- saw no holes near the cd slot.

17. iJUNKY macrumors member

ok there seems to be quite a few similar problems like this floating around, so sorry to thread jack.

this happened last night

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=222673

to me.

have tried everything: holding mouse button, shaking, wont boot at all, even in safe mode.

(again, sorry to hi-jack a thread, but it is a similar (if not identical prob) and i am soooooooooo desparate) :)

18. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Same thing happened to me a week ago on Macbook.

Installed New Parallels disk, tried to eject disk, but no good.
    Was given the riot act from Apple Support
    - did I examine disk before inserting
    - was it a warped disk
    You know, this isn't covered by Apple warrantee.

Brought it to an Apple Store, they sent it in, haven't heard anything in a week. - Great Service :(

19. dcl macrumors regular

dcl

Boy Boy Boy, send in your macbook in to Eject stuck CD and get a full make over. I also mentioned to Apple about (heat problem and whine).
    So far they have:
    - replaced the combo drive
    - respread new thermo past on the cpu
    - something dealing with the replacing the lcd hinge
    - and replacing the outside cover.

The outside and LCD screen were perfect when it was sent in, sounds like Apple's causing alot of damage on my macbook.
    :confused:
    Still no word when I'm getting it back:mad:

20. rifaqp macrumors newbie

i got my dvd stuck in my mbp
    i tried using terminal, restart, manually with cards, and even stupid things such as shake it T_T
    finder didn't recognize the dvd firstly, but after i shake that... there's dvd icon labeled 'STONED' and i still can't eject that
    HELP.