Macbook wont shutdown

Discussion in 'macOS' started by adam86w, Feb 27, 2007.

1. adam86w macrumors newbie

First of all everyone told me how stable osx is all i seem to have is problems with it
    1. No matter what option i use to try and shutdown my macbook the screen just turns purple then finder restarts and gos back to the desktop, does the same with restart and cancel.
    2.When i try and export files in pages to .doc or pdf pages crashs
    3.landscape mode in mac word crashs word everytime

pretty dissaopointed with the whole mac osx is soooo much more stable than windows when i cant even turn my macbook of

2. nazmac21 macrumors 6502a

nazmac21

Update the firmware and software on your Mac, if you haven't. Also try to reset the PRAM.

3. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

To start, your experience so far has been extremely non-standard. I've had various Macs for over 4 years and have never experienced a problem like that.

If you absolutely must shutdown your MacBook, you can hold down the power button until it turns off (should be about 5 seconds).

Beyond that, I also recommend running any and all software updates you haven't run yet (ESPECIALLY firmware updates), and if that doesn't fix the problem I'd take it to an Apple Store Genius Bar and see if they can't help you out.

As for the problem with Word, I'd try updating your copy of MS Word as the problem there is with the Microsoft product, not OS X. Office should have its own updater separate from the OS X Software Update.

4. adam86w thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i shall give my apple store a phone, to add to my list of problems is messenger wont sign in tryed restarting macbook just keeps saying service unavailable when internet is working fine and also everyone elses messenger is working, how do you un install on a mac when i delete the messenger program and then put messenger back on my macbook it still rembers my name and password so its obvioulsy not properly uninstalled, i find macs confusing relating to removing programs.

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Reinstall Messenger and run it through a program liked AppZapper. What happens when yo uninstall an application (*.app) by dragging it to the trash, what you leave behind are a preference list and a cache (usually). What you're seeing is a result of those files not be deleted as well. Something like AppZapper will delete the app and most (if not all) the files associated with the app.

AppZapper can be found here: http://www.appzapper.com/ and has 5 free zaps before it costs $13.