macbook wont start up =o=

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wanderer509, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Wanderer509 macrumors member

omgoodness, 2 days before finals and this happens == apple u have disappointed me.

anyways, i was using my macbook fine, and i started noticing a severe slowdown for no reason (i was just browsing, webcaming, etc, normal load imo). the fan started spinning maxspeed and i noticed that its accessing my ram (paging in). force quiting some application didnt really help, so i just force shut down.

now whenever i start it up, it just sounds the apple chime and fan spin really hard. i tried putting in mac install disc and my included leopard disc, but pressing they dont appear when i press option, the optical drive seems to be fine as it spins and ejects disc. i tried resetting pram and smc as per listed in apple support. any extra help?

my macbook is 2.16ghz running leopard 10.5.3 on 1.5GB of ram

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Did you hold down alt when atempting to boot from the reinstall disks.

3. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

yes =(

if it makes a difference, i dont hear the HD spinning at all.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

Try booting from the disk and tell us if you can acess your drive from the disk utility.

5. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

the problem is i cant boot from the disc or anything. tried both install disc (the tiger one) and leopard drop-in dvd. i hold C for the install disc, nothing. hold alt, gives me the pointer, but nothing shows up that i can click. i will probably bring it to the apple store in ubc (since i go to ubc) but its just plain annoying as i am trying to study n all of a sudden it breaks down.

any other suggestions?

6. mad cow disease macrumors member

Ram?

Doesn't sound like a HDD crash and even if it was you would boot off of CD.

I can't remember if these computers run 1 or 2 memory slots but have you tried running off of each stick (if applicable) individually?

7. Wanderer509 thread starter macrumors member

macbooks have 2 ram slots, but i doubt that will solve anything. i will give it a go though.

EDIT: tried booting on each ram, no go. however, i noticed some white residue on the other piece of ram that apple supplied with the macbook. maybe something inside melted?