macbook wont start up

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shrm03, Mar 11, 2008.

1. macrumors member

My macbook will not start up. Often, it just gets stuck on a blue screen and sits there.

Other times it gets stuck at the grey apple loading screen. It won't even let me start up in safe mode.

When I try to start up in Single User mode, I get to following error:

Code:
    .Loading for kernel cache file 'System\Library\Caches\com.apple.kernelcaches\kernelcache.BB12B6EE'
    Loading 'mach_kernel'...
    root device uuid is 'Cd34CFB1-C240-4D09-8A79-11426561353'
    Loading drivers...
    Loading System\Library\Extensions.mkext
    ........Read Error 0x80000007

2. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

Restart with the OS DVD in the drive, hold down C. In the menu, bring up disc utility, then repair the disc and the disc permissions. It appears as though one of your extension files is either locked or corrupted. If it is the latter you may need to do an archive and install to be able to get it to work again.

TEG

3. thread starter macrumors member

Ugh... that would bethe 4th time I had to redo that and I've only had the laptop for a year.

Plus, the installation discs are at my apartment at college... I am at home for Spring Break.

Is there anyway to do this without the discs?

And why does my Mac always do this? Could it be a lemon?

4. thread starter macrumors member

5. thread starter macrumors member

6. TEG
    macrumors 604

TEG

If you can, I suggest taking it in to an Apple Store or Authorized Repair Center and have them diagnose it. It may be an indication of a bad drive.

TEG

7. Joined:
    Aug 1, 2008
    similar error

I got a similar error along with the pointer you got 0x80000007. My error was 'mach_kernel failed to load'. Apple care confirmed that this was a hardware failure with the HDD. If you have Apple Care contact them and they will replace the drive, if not I would suggest looking for a new laptop drive http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_13inch_HardDrive_DIY.pdf give instructions on how to do this yourself. I hope you've got your files backed up :rolleyes: I was able to boot to a Ubuntu live CD (hold down the OPTION key during startup to access the bootcamp bootloader) So you can TRY to rescue your files, but MY drive was unmountable and beyond repair. I hope this helps, I registered just to post this reply.