Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NitinNike

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
I tried everything like smc reset, holding power button for 30secs. I had a chat with apple support and they suggested me to take in for the service.

I want to know whether they wipe my entire data while they service as I haven't taken a backup. I am afraid if I lose my data. I want someone to share their experience with the Apple genius.

BrettApple

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2010
Heart of the midwest
Your data is probably just fine. It is stored on a separate HDD or SSD, be it SATA or PCIe. Unless you have the new 2015 MacBook, then it's soldered and you might be out of luck. But you didn't list a model so I'm assuming it's a MacBook Air. If so the worst case would be a dead logic board and they can swap the board itself and put your SSD back with all of your data intact.

I have never dealt with Apple directly on repairs though since we don't have an Apple store for hours in any direction and I do my own repairs. Usually the only thing they wipe are iOS devices via a restore when they are done.

NitinNike

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2012
Your data is probably just fine. It is stored on a separate HDD or SSD, be it SATA or PCIe. Unless you have the new 2015 MacBook, then it's soldered and you might be out of luck. But you didn't list a model so I'm assuming it's a MacBook Air. If so the worst case would be a dead logic board and they can swap the board itself and put your SSD back with all of your data intact.

I have never dealt with Apple directly on repairs though since we don't have an Apple store for hours in any direction and I do my own repairs. Usually the only thing they wipe are iOS devices via a restore when they are done.
Firstly, Thank you for answering! and yes I have a 2013 MacBook Air. I have never encountered any problem in past years in any of my other MacBooks so was curious to ask about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.