MacBook Worries =(

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Math.PI, Mar 19, 2007.

1. Math.PI macrumors newbie

Apr 29, 2006
    Today my MacBook has been acting kind of funky, and I am really starting to worry. It started with a kernel panic and then afterwards my Mac started experiencing a slowdown in boot time [from about a minute to 5 minutes], as well as an increase in the occurrence of the fans being on. Even when the machine was idling the fans were still running pretty high.

The machine appears to lock up a bit too, but once I hit the power button (not holding it down to force shutdown) things unlock. I am getting kind of confused here. The only two things I have done recently are upgrade the HD and RAM, as well as upgrade to 10.4.9. Both seemed to be taking kind of nicely though, I have had both for over a week.

I ran Onyx too, did a complete optimization (disk permission, cleared cache, etc.) after I experienced the long boot times. The boot times were still just as long, and on one occasion I booted into the login screen and it didn't have my normal login saved, it was going to have me type in my user/pass instead of just my pass. Upon reboot, this part was corrected.

I guess my question is, what the heck is going on with my Mac? Is it cause to worry? I used Carbon Copy Cloner to swap my HDs on Friday, and up until this afternoon everything was working alright. I have noticed that during boot time I see this folder icon with a question mark in the middle of it before the Apple logo shows up.

As I post this the fans are running at 6100rpm and my CPU is at 150ºF. kernel_task is also taking up 102% of the CPU according to Activity Monitor.
  2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

May 16, 2006
    Central Florida!

I had a similer thing happent o my 3 week old macbook, I returned it :)