macbook WOW?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dragon2611, Jul 16, 2006.

1. dragon2611 macrumors regular

I just installed bootcamp on my macbook and at the moment i run WOW under OSX and get between about 9 and 30fps (draw distance minimum but detial isn't) and its pefectly playable.

Although some people say wow runs better under XP because of Directx, now im not expecting amazing framerates from the GMA950 but im wandering if theres enough of a performance difference to justify Deleting wow from OSX and running it under XP.

2. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

3. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

sorry i have the 1.83ghz macbook with 1gb ram

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I doubt that you would really notice any speed improvement when running the game in Xpee over Mac OS. :eek:

5. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I don't know why people keep expecting the graphics on the MacBook to be a let down. For all the pain the fan boys are feeling, its a better card than any other that has been in an iBook.

I've ran Warcraft 3 and Unreal 2004 on my 1Ghz iBook without any problems so I don't understand all the hoo haa with a dual core laptop with its supposed "inferior" onboard Gcard.

6. socamx macrumors 6502

Better than what any iBook had because the iBooks are simply older. By comparison to other stuff that is out there now the Intel chipset is horrible and I'd never get a MacBook because of it...

Either way I doubt there would be much of a difference to justify running it in XP because of the Intel stuff.. but I could be wrong.

7. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm strange, i tryed it in XP in the end, and athough i still get between 9 fps and 30+ fps in XP the difference is that in XP i can turn the detial sliders right up (cept for anoscopic filtering and get 15 fps in most places (dropping to 9 occasinly) and peaking at 30)

in osx if i try that i get a whopping 3fps :eek:

The only reason i can think of is becuase XP allocates upto 224mb of system ram to the GMA950 where osx only lets it have 64mb.

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I love macbooks. I own a macbook. But you're dreaming here. A 1.83 Ghz core duo is a great chip, and WoW is not exactly Oblivion, yet the macbook still manages only between 9 and 30 fps? That's awful.

Have a look here.
    The macbook barely beats a 1.42 Ghz G4 ibook and loses to a 1.67 Ghz G4 powerbook in UT2004. A core duo at 1.83-2.0 Ghz kills a G4 at 1.42-1.67 Ghz, yet the macbook can barely keep up with the G4s in fps... that doesn't sound to me like the GMA950 is a better card than the radeon 9550 in the ibook. Is it a better card than the radeon 9200 in your ibook? Yeah, probably. But it's not better than the 9550 in the last gen ibooks.

Again, I'm a very happy macbook owner. But let's be honest about both the good and the bad about macbooks. The GMA950 falls solidly in to the "bad" category.

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Well, according to the Mac WoW forums there's a huge speed difference between the two. It seems to be mostly isolated to the integrated graphics, though - the difference on a MBP is pretty marginal. As someone said above, the difference is probably attributable to the fact that Windows will allocate MUCH more VRAM to the integrated chipset than OSX will. I just finished getting Windows installed via Boot Camp and will be experimenting tonight. =D

Word is that it's something like 20fps in IF with all details maxed. I can't even hit that on minimum settings in OSX.

10. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

im wandering if its worth trying the xp driver from the intel site rather than the one apple supply doubt it will make a difference tbh but id be interesting to see

11. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I'd agree with that statement. On my iMac (Dual 2 Ghz, 256 VRAM, 2 GB of RAM) I think it runs better in OS X then it does on Windows. I don't think it runs drastically better but I can barely tell a difference between the two with settings maxed out on both. The only time OS X seems to beat Windows is inside Ironforge, which I thought is where Windows would perform better after seeing my friend play WoW on his PC.

12. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Honestly, I'm kind of hard to please - I play WoW at 1680x1050 completely maxed out on my PC at home, so I'm probably never going to be satisfied. =)

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I don't understand that assertion. The point of dedicate VRAM is that it handles graphics tasks so that regular RAM doesn't have to. But with integrated graphics, the same RAM is going to handle the graphics no matter what. Who cares if it's being called VRAM or system RAM?

Of course, by that theory, there's no real reason to allocate any system RAM to an integrated GPU at all, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. Comments from more knowledgable people?

14. Gurutech macrumors 6502

On my Macbook Pro, WoW on XP gives about 5~15 fr improvement over WoW on Mac OSX (same setting)

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

VRAM is dedicated for the use of the GPU. It will NOT be used for GPU-related processes unless it is specifically allocated as such. If Mac OS only allows 64 megs, the system will only put 64 megs of information into the GPU buffer (models, textures, etc). If Windows allows for 224 megs, the game will buffer as much as it can fit into 224 megs, meaning less loading and better performance.

Also, DirectX > OpenGL.

16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

ok, thanks. But does that mean that if a game needs more memory and there's system memory available, it won't use it? The system memory will just sit idle? That's not too logical...

17. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

But that's how it works. The Mac OS sets aside a specific amount of RAM for what is, essentially, a virtual graphics card. Windows allows a degree of flexibility. WoW is extremely texture/model-hungry, so more VRAM is better. The software-limited drivers in Mac OS cripple the system pretty badly.

I'm eager for Blizzard to get WoW on the Mac multithreading.

18. dragon2611 thread starter macrumors regular

admittedly the framerate is nothing to shout about on XP either but at least its playable... at least in WOW framerate doesn't matter to much.

Play a FPS @ 9 - 15 frame/s and it would be horrible yet world of warcraft is fine, ok its no where near as smooth as my desktop pc with a dedicated graphics card but i didn't buy the macbook specificly for gaming. I have a desktop for that, If it runs a certian game then great if it doesn't oh well no big loss. I'm just pleased WOW is playable means i've got a nice small fast notebook that not only runs OSX and windows but i can play world of warcraft on it and it as well :D

19. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Oh, I'm not doubting you, I'm just saying that's pretty stupid of apple to cap it at 64 if that's the way it works. Would be nice if someone found a way to get around the artificial cap apple set...

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Agreed.

btw, I tried out WoW this evening via Boot Camp and there is a serious increase in performance. I have everything turned up, draw distance at middle, and everything besides IF (and I'm on a full server) is very, very playable. Quite nice.

21. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

i posted some numbers on my macbook on FPS on wow if u do a search. the macbook runnin bootcamp will run wow ALOT better than OSX. and framerate does matter. 9 might be playable when ure low lvl, but at end game raids, that 9 will easily turn into a 5 when 40 people are spamming spells and craps goin everywhere. i traded my macbook for a mbp and its alot better on mbp. The FPS is better on the MBP on OSX than a regualr macbook on XP. many people claiming higher framerates i think are looking at their framerates outdoors where its not heavily populated. i run with all my settings on high on my mbp and i get an avg of 20-30 fps.

22. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Funny, in the UK version of macworld they state its the better chip and thats where I got my information from.

23. stunna macrumors member

Heres an idea
    OSX uses openGL to draw the desktop
    Maybe osx is still drawling the desktop and also drawling the game therefore the lower fps in osx compared to windowsXP
    correct me if i'm wrong

24. scho52386 macrumors regular

scho52386

your wrong....jk. i have no idea what u even said. :)

25. JackSYi macrumors 6502a

I play WoW on my MacBook with 2 gigs of RAM and on OS X. It is definitely playable but does slow down from time to time.