Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dwd3885, Sep 20, 2006.

1. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    Well I was lookin at either the Macbook or the HP dv2000/6000t. I decided to go with the macbook. But I'm going to wait until they are updated. I'd really like to get the MBP, but I do not have enough money for it. I like the idea of the bigger screen, dedicated graphics and all that put the MBP ahead of thet macbook. But I think I'd still be fine with whatever revision of the MB is released next.

Not really sure why I'm posting this, I just can't keep going back and forth like I have been for a year. There's gotta be a reason why I keep wanting to get the Mac. So I'm going to go ahead and finally get me my mac...again!
  2. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    i think i speak for many when i say you made the right choice. heh ;)
  3. NeoMac macrumors regular

Feb 10, 2006
    I know exactly what you mean. I currently own an 17inch iMac and an HP DV1000 and both are about a year old. I am dying for a mac notebook. I keep going back and forth between the macbook and macbook pro. I was looking at the refurb store and the difference is about 700 bucks between both. I think I am going to wait a bit and buy the macbook pro. Which will end up being my main computer.
  4. FFTT macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
    I just set up my daughter's new white MacBook 2.0 GHz.

Very nice machine compared to her sister's iBook 12"

I would definitely recommend no less than 1 GB RAM and preferably 2 GB
    and at least an 80 GB HD.

If you're going for a complete desktop replacement or plan to run graphics intensive
    applications, then it may be worth it to you to spend the difference for the 2.0 GHz MBP, but for most portable needs, the MacBook is fine.
  5. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

Apr 14, 2006
    Clemson, SC
    My macbook is my main system (i have it hooked up to external everything when at my desk), and I'm a graphics student, so I work in Photoshop/Adobe suite near daily.. and it works great. No need for the MBP, personally. :)

Unless you meant more video editing stuff by "graphics intensive" and I read it wrong.. in which case, my mistake. :eek:
  6. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    whichever i get, it will be my one and only system. as my gateway laptop is now. does that make a difference?
  7. dwd3885 thread starter macrumors 68020

Dec 10, 2004
    Ok, so I don't think I'm going to wait anymore on my Macbook purchase. My Gateway lappy is frustrating the heck out of me!!! Besides the problems, I can burn a cd and do NOTHING else!! Dang Pentium M!

So I'm probably going to get either the 1099 Macbook 2ghz white on Apple refurb or the Macbook Pro $1549 on Apple refurb. Which is better for me? Is the $500 difference justifyable in the graphics, bigger screen and 20gb bigger hard drive? I was also thinking that if I wanted the MBP, I should just wait because it is more likely to be updated very shortly, whereas I don't think the MB would be updated until after the MBP.

What do you think?
  8. jhande macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2006
    I think that the differences between the MB and the MBP are so small, that unless you have a specific need, like you must have a matte screen 'cause you're a graphic designer, go for the MB. Size, battery life etc. makes it a winner (plus the fact that they have sorted the RSS problems out).

Disclosure: I've just ordered a MB Black, so maybe I'm a bit biased. :D
  9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you don't need the dedicated graphics card, then forget it.

There aren't many pieces of software that actually benefit from having a dedicated graphics card, and most of the ones that do are games. The others are things like Motion, Aperture, and pro apps like that.

Other pro apps like Adobe Photoshop, Elements, and all high end audio and music software simply require a fast processor.

If you run a 23" external monitor, then get the MBP. The graphics card is going to help. If you play games, then get the MBP. If you're going to use Motion or something, get the MBP (actually, get a Mac Pro ;) ). If you require the higher resolution, get the MBP, or get a MB with a 20" external monitor or something.
  10. miles01110 macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    Or if you want a better computer than your friends...get a Macbook Pro :)
  11. PerfectlyFlawed macrumors newbie

Sep 2, 2006
    go with a macbook. its intigrated graphics memory is really underestimated. I was in the same situation but finally just went with the macbook since that and the pc card slot are the only major differences from my black macbook and the macbook was 500$ less.
    It can handle alot more than I expected it to.
    the only limitation I've found is you can't run Motion, other than that you can use anything. Final Cut Pro suprisingly works really well.
  12. m2gc macrumors newbie

Oct 6, 2005
    I just got a black macbook last night at the apple store, amazing looking, frontrow is awesome, just waiting on a legit copy of windows and parrells and 2gb of ram and i will be set!
  13. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    the MacBook is a nice machine. you won't be disappointed.
  14. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2006
    well you difinatly speak for me!