MacBookAir.com Clarification

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by MacRumors, Jan 14, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There was a flurry of discussion about the MacBookAir.com redirecting to:

http://www.apple.com/?Will+We+see+a+MacBookAir+on+Tuesday

This redirection is not an endorsement by Apple itself. Anyone can redirect any domain to any other domain and add a "query string" (?text). You can change it to whatever you want, and this query is passed to the web server. In this case, Apple.com ignores the query.

Example: http://www.apple.com/?I+love+you

And besides, MacBookAir.com isn't registered by Apple.com... it was registered by us. If Apple decides to use the MacBook Air name, they are welcome to the domain.

Article Link

2. macrumors demi-god

CWallace

Mystery solved.

Move along. Nothing to see here. :)

3. macrumors regular

4. macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

5. macrumors P6

Peace

I'd love to see the logbook from today for Apple.com :D

6. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

7. macrumors P6

Peace

Doesn't it still take like 12-24 hours for a domain name to get updated in all the databases ?

Maybe they will.:)

8. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

First there was the U2 iPod, but now Apple appears to have fallen on such hard times that it is now forced to partner with what sounds like it should be an Air Supply cover band. :( ;)

9. macrumors regular

MacRumors keeps posting "whispers" and "rumors" that the macbook air is true.

and they say that they registered the macbookair.com domain

maybe apple contacted them for it and thats why they know these whispers

10. macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

What about Gizmodo? Where did responsible journalism go? I rely on MR and MR alone for reliable information (and rumors!), not pranks.

EDIT: I'm not mad or anything, just.. I guess it could've been played better. MR is still my #1 site :D

11. macrumors 68000

MrCrowbar

You will just give the domain to Apple? That's noble.

12. Moderator emeritus

kainjow

For 5 bazillion dollars.

13. Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Since this is a clarification thread, I've corrected this statement.

14. macrumors 65816

Sbrocket

Or maybe they just get information from reliable sources, which is generally how the rumor industry gets its info in my experience.

15. macrumors 6502

ThunderLounge

Wow. But isn't that like taking credit for it being you, when you step out of a crowded elevator? :D

Pretty slick, Arn and Co. Pretty slick.

16. macrumors regular

DPazdanISU

I don't know Arn, I think that is kind of sketchy that you guys would buy up a domain after someone willingly informed you of a possible product release. I mean, it's smart, but the fact that Macrumors had the information before the general public makes this move questionable.

17. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I'm assuming that ars (or someone else at MR) pre-emptively registered it because they saw it was unregistered, and wanted to 'protect' it. MR has *NEVER* said it was an 'unbiased news' site. Heck, the name alone says it. MacRumors.

The fact that they're doing it out of 'love' for Apple rather than a plain squatter isn't a problem to me.

(Heck, a few years ago, one of Microsoft's primary domain names {not microsoft.com, but I can't remember which one it was} accidentally expired, and a Linux programmer picked it up. He turned it back over to Microsoft for no charge.)

18. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It wasn't really intended to be a "prank". I just underestimated people's understanding of the query string. Hence the quick correction/redirect removal.

I registered it on reflex. I register domain names (see: pcrumors.com, applerumors.com etc...). When I see a good free domain name, I register it.

MacBookAir is a special case domain, since if its true, it's going to be a trademarked name. I have no interest in using it, and even if I did, Apple could go through a formal arbitration processes to get it. I'd rather just transfer it to Apple if its true.

arn

19. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Arn you should give yourself a time-out for upsetting all the newbies ;):p:D

20. Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Registering it is also a good way to see what Apple's reaction to that action might be. ;)

21. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

ILoveBees

(I think people are coming to expect every company does a viral game.)

22. macrumors 6502

Heh, it actually happened to Microsoft twice. Once they forgot to renew hotmail.co.uk (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/06/microsoft_forgets_to_renew_hotmail/) and earlier they had forgotten to pay the bill for passport.com (thus taking hotmail down) before a helpful soul paid it for them (http://www.doublewide.net/)

23. macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The only problem is that you posted a top-level story about the registration of macbookair.net/org/biz/etc, and ended it with "So the MacBookAir domain registrations may have been triggered by the MacBookAir.com domain registration - which was not registered by Apple.", but didn't mention in that story that you are the one that registered macbookair.com. At that story, you should have
    posted this disclaimer you just wrote.

24. macrumors regular

aimfire

Guys, let's all take a deep breath for a sec... ;)

If Apple had decided to call this the MacBookAir, don't you think they would've registered the domain MONTHS ago...??

25. NAG
    macrumors 68030

NAG

Sigh, lighten up. Oh no, some people jumped to conclusions.