MacBookPro new ones?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cmm, Apr 30, 2006.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

I heard that over the summer Intel is releasing a chip that will make the macbookpro's 20% faster...

Is this true? Any other special things being added? Is it worth waiting for it? I want the 17inch. I have a 20inch iMac that is my main machine so 15inch would be too small. I have an IBM Thinkpad laptop that I hate, so I wanna get rid of as soon as possible.

cmm

2. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

I would go look at the 17" before you take the plunge... they are VERY big! If you already have a 20" iMac at home and are just looking for portability with the MBP, the 15" may suite you better... just my opinion of course... i am in the same boat though... was going to wait for merom, but my powerbook g4 took a dump on me this morning and now i dont know if i can wait... :(

3. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I think that you should buy a new MBP now. It sounds like you could use a new laptop- the current version of the MBPs are awesome, why wait?

Yes, the Merom chip will be faster than the current Yonah one, but not by very much. :)

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

It will also be 64bit.

5. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

It will be, but that really does not mean that much for most users. :)

6. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Yup, pretty much. I'd rather have it than not, but most won't miss it for the next year or two.

7. ManchesterTrix macrumors 6502

More realisitcally most won't miss it for the next five or six years.

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same here. I would like to have it in a laptop (or any computer for that matter), but I could care less if I didn't have a 64 bit cpu. :eek: :)