MacBookPro NOW or wait for Merom?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by zoran, May 18, 2006.

?

MacBookPro now or wait for Merom in August?

Poll closed Aug 16, 2006.
  1. no its worth to purchase one now

    35.9%
  2. yes ill wait for the fresh faster Merom

    64.1%
  1. zoran macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #1
    Answer to this delemma, whould u buy MBPro right now or wait around until August to see Merom?
     
  2. Glenn Wolsey macrumors 65816

    Glenn Wolsey

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2005
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #2
    I'm waiting for 64bit Merom, and Leopard until I buy a MacBook Pro.
     
  3. emw macrumors G4

    emw

    Joined:
    Aug 2, 2004
    #3
    ;)

    I think it all depends on if you think that the Merom chips will be out and integrated by August, and if you think that is something you really need in order to justify the purchase. If I needed a device now, and the MBP did what I needed for now and the fairly far future, I'd pick it up.

    If I wasn't happy with the performance or specs, I'd wait to see if they made it any better in a few months. But, and I hate to be cliché, if you always worry about what's next, you'll never buy anything. The next best thing is always going to come on the heels of what you buy today.
     
  4. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

    andiwm2003

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2004
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #4
    i usually don't buy computers during the summer. i simply don't have the time to sit inside and play with it:D

    if it was september and i knew the next version will be released in january at the WWDC (that is a very likely scenario for many macs) then i would buy it right away.

    in my specific case i will likely buy a MB in about 1-2 month (after initial bugs are fixed) and i won't care if their price drops with the merom release or they get a merom in october. till then i have 4 month of use.

    so i can't really answer your specific poll but if i have to i would probably vote for "buy the MBpro now".
     
  5. remowilliams macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 17, 2006
    #5
    Buy one now if it'll do what you want now.

    There's always a faster model in six months... ;)
     
  6. yodermk macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2006
    #6
    Would the Merom based MBP likely be more expensive than the 32-bit model (for the same specs), or the same price?

    Really, 64 bits shouldn't matter much to just about everyone. The only things that concern me:

    1. I'm a programmer, and 64 bit programming may or may not be essential in the next few years.
    2. Will end user software production for 32 bit Intels cease sooner? Seems like i32 is sandwiched between PPC and i64, with perhaps a much lower lifespan than either of them.

    So it may be worth the wait. However, if the current model does what you need now, probably better just go ahead. The actual practical speed increase shouldn't be that much.
     
  7. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

    Spanky Deluxe

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2005
    Location:
    London, UK
    #7
    64 bits isn't that important in this day and age for the current user especialy in a laptop. Don't get me wrong, in a few years time it'll be way more important. The only real advantage that any ordinary user will see is the ability for more RAM which isn't really possible in laptops anyway due to the size limits of current RAM chips.

    If you need a new laptop then buy now. If its not that important to you then you may as well wait as it is for most things. I'll be in the market for a new laptop at some point over the next few months although its not that important right now so I'm waiting for a while. If Apple released a 13" MBP, however, I'd be having a conversation with my bank manager sharpish.
     
  8. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
  9. jacobj macrumors 65816

    jacobj

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    Jersey
    #9
    I voted that I'd wait for the Merom chip even though I am writing this on an MBP. I bought speed up video editing and the truth is that the MB is not far behind and so, if I were buying now, I'd get an entry level MacBook and wait for merom
     
  10. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #10
    I said wait, but at the end of the day all that matters is that you buy what you need, when you need it.

    If we all waited for the next best thing all the time, we'd all still be using BBC's and Acorns.
     
  11. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

    celebrian23

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    Location:
    Under the sun
    #11
    Easy question. If I need a computer now, I'd get the current MBP. If I could wait and it wasn't a need, I'd wait. :p
     
  12. majorp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    Location:
    UK !!!
    #12
    im going to do both, buy the mbp now, sell it when the merom comes out. i don't mine losing a few hundred £'s :D for the latest product
     
  13. ncook06 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Feb 11, 2006
    Location:
    Tampa, FL
    #13
    I didn't vote because I'm taking a slightly different path.

    I'm buying a Macbook now. I don't run pro apps yet. When I start needing the power in a year or two, I will buy a sweet desktop (Mac Pro?). And in about three years, I'll get another MBP.
     
  14. DeVizardofOZ macrumors regular

    DeVizardofOZ

    Joined:
    Jan 12, 2006
    Location:
    Antarctica City;)
    #14
    I think the same way...


    ...given the present quality issues I decided to go for a 17" MBP 2GB+ Ram, 100G 7.200RPM HDD and the MEROM. Will use an ext. HDD (200+GB).
    Ther is no excuse whatsoever for APPLE to sell faulty material, even if not every single one has problems. There are just too many issues to spend that kind of money. Of ocurse I would have liked mine to be anodized UPS black/brown...

    One more word regarding the MB black. Plastik can be colored any way, but "painted"???
    Paint WILL in time come off... Have not seen one single Laptop where it didn't, and makes it ugly.
     
  15. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

    Foxglove9

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2006
    Location:
    New York City
    #15
    They just upgraded the speed on the MBPro's, so now is the best time to get it. Probably won't see the full switch to Merom until September, and who knows what pricing or performance gain there will be in comparison.

    So I'd say get one now, but if it is not super urgent I say the same with any Apple Intel purchase the longer you wait the more bugs that'll be worked out.
     
  16. Zoowatch macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Sheffield, UK
    #16
    I'll wait...

    In fact I wouldn't buy a Mac now until the next major release of Mac OSX is out... preinstalled in every new machine.

    By then, MS Office and Creative Suite 3 would be almost ready to hit the shelf.

    I know that the new Intel Macs are great in terms of power... but I simply don't like the idea of launching apps in rossetta...

    For the time being... stick to the PowerPC machines if you've alredy got one...
     
  17. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #17
    <<looks at BBCs and Acorns in cupboard>>

    Ah, those were the days.

    If you want a laptop now, buy a Yonah-powered MacBook Pro. It's a fine machine and will serve you admirably for many years.
     
  18. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

    iHeartTheApple

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #18
    I voted for "Buy an MBP now." I'll tell you why...While I don't exactly *need* an MBP (I could probably wait for this Fall's merom release, easily), my purchase of an MBP hinges very strongly on my ability sell my 17" Rev.E PB and get good money for it still. Now, I realize around MacRumors I would be hardpressed to find someone who would buy it for $2000+ right now even though it's in mint condition, but on Ebay they still sell for that much and more...

    If I were to wait until November (because even if it comes out in Sept. shipping and bugs will keep me waiting a bit), my resale value, and therefore my total spending money, will almost definitely be less.

    Problem #2: I have a terrible fear that Apple will completely convert the new Merom MBP's to glossy screens *only*...As in, you don't get a choice between matte and gloss as you do now. That's a major problem for me...major.

    Finally, while the Yonah MBP's do have their problems, they are slowly getting fixed...each week you can wait for them, you probably increase your chance of getting a flawless one quite a bit. 64-bit won't do anything for you unless you're a software developer and Merom will undoubtedly have its own share of problems...

    So, what you have to ask yourself is: Are you a "first few weeks" purchaser ? If you answered "no," then you're one of those people (I think like most of us) who prefer to sit back and see what the *real* early adopters come up with as far as bugs. That means if Merom comes out in August/September, then you're looking at not purchasing until around November or December...a significantly longer wait than 2 months.

    Either way, buy what you want when you want it...If you want to and can wait, then do so...If not, then have at it! Good luck! :)
     
  19. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

    Bubbasteve

    Joined:
    Dec 23, 2004
    Location:
    Charleston, IL
    #19
    I'm liking your idea but instead of the MBP I will wait for the Merom/Leopard in the MB
     
  20. zoziw macrumors member

    zoziw

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2006
    Location:
    Canada
    #20
    Like many other posters I fall into the buy it if you need it otherwise wait.

    I bought a Mac Mini last year, before the switch was announced, and an iBook after the switch was announced.

    I am more than happy to sit on the sidelines during this transition time and take a look 1-3 years down the road for my next Mac.

    Ultimately, I want a reliable computer that meets my needs and my iBook does that. If your current computer doesn't, take a look at a MacBook Pro.
     
  21. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #21
    Actually, the early white iBooks had the inner side of the plastic shell painted, which made it possible for quite a few hacks, like changing the color, or putting a design on the inside of it. They changed that later though.
     
  22. Kintwa macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2006
    #22
    Not sure, but would it be possible to upgrade from yohan to merom?
     
  23. iHeartTheApple macrumors 6502

    iHeartTheApple

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #23
    Good question. I believe I've heard talk of the possibility that the MBP Yonah processors are socketed. Maybe this means we could drop a Merom under the hood later on. Anyone know more about this? :eek:
     
  24. risc macrumors 68030

    risc

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2004
    Location:
    Melbourne, Australia
    #24
    I'm completely over being tied to my desk (I have a Power Mac G5) so I bought a CTO MacBook Pro 3 days back I'm still waiting on delivery. It really depends on your needs. I wanted it now so I bought it. I can't wait for the MacBook Pro to turn up so I can move my Power Mac G5 on to the person who bought it.
     
  25. MrFrankly macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2006
    #25
    [edit]...disregard the comment I made here...:)[/edit]
     

Share This Page