MacBookPro spontaneous restarts?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ccc, Mar 3, 2006.

1. ccc macrumors newbie

Mar 3, 2006
    I've been using my MacBookPro (1.83ghz) for 3 days, and today it began acting funky. It has spontaneously restarted about 10 times today. It restarted itself about 4 times in 10 minutes just now. Twice it has restarted as soon as the previous restart completed, before any programs have been launched, and with no peripherals plugged in. Other times it has spontaneously restarted with only Safari open, and with Illustrator CS open.

Any ideas about what might be happening? Anyone had this issue?
    Could this be related to software? Or the 1 gig RAM module I installed?
  2. upperblue79 macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2004
    Little Rock, AR
    If the ram is messed up it more than likely would not start without some warning. Try running software update. Also go into disk utility and repair permissions. If you got applecare, run the tech tools disk and make sure all your hardware is good.
  3. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2006
    First thing to try...remove the stick of RAM you put in there. If it stops restarting, then it's the RAM.

Second, try re-installing OSX...

Third, if all else has failed, it may be heat or something Apple.

Those are the only things I can think of, but that's the order I would do them in.
  4. sam10685 macrumors 68000

Feb 2, 2006
    Portland, OR
    i would strap a stick of dynamite to it, light it and then sit back and watch the show. (then go buy a new Macbook Pro with more RAM already in it.)
  5. zendog macrumors newbie

Apr 8, 2008
    Have the same problem with same machine. less severe.

my mbp is doing the same thing. sometimes evidently without any applications open. has 2 gig, 1 of which I got from a friend. was overheating because fans failed and apple store replaced them.
  6. gusanitoverde macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2003
    Northern California
    The solution could rather be easy.

Check in the System Profiler.

Check in the "Power" section.
    Check how many cycles your battery has gone through.
    If it is close of pass 300 cycles, your primary suspect is the battery.

I had the same thing happening to me. Battery replaced=Happy camper.:cool:
  7. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Jan 8, 2009

Not trying to be rude, but I'm just saying.

ALso, the one thing I haven't seen suggested yet is zapping PRAM. It may not solve the problem, but it is easier to do then popping open the case; its something to do before anything. Then work software-side. Then work hardware-side.
  8. Yairp macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2009
    He just wants to play... take it out to the park, throw a ball a few times, he'll get tired soon enough and you'll have a quiet night.