MacBooks are Killing the Mac Minis

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EricChunky, May 16, 2006.

1. EricChunky macrumors regular

MacMini:

1.66Ghz 512M 80G SuperDrive = £600

MacBook

1.83Ghz 512M 60G Combo = £750

for £150 more, you got a laptop

you have an extra battery, extra decent screen, speaker, keyboard, mouse and...

Mobility....

and if you connect external keyboard mouse monitor power, you can use the MacBook with lid closed....

why would someone buy a Mini ?:cool:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think the MBs will definitely eat into mini sales, but there are some factors to consider:

(1) AppleCare is much cheaper.

(2) Entry cost is lower if you have a KVM setup already.

(3) An MB would look dumb on my mini-sized Lacie drive. ;)

Edit: (4) Lifetime is probably better for mini because it's not carted around.

3. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I like to think of my father who is going to eventually get a mac mini when he can afford it. He has a setup already because he currently has it set up to a pc. Why would he want to buy a laptop when portability isn't an issue when for about half the price he can get a mac mini?

4. milo macrumors 604

Well, the macbook is still 37% more, at least in the US. $300usd is nothing to sneeze at.

But I do think this is better bang for the buck, I would assume they'll update the minis fairly soon.

Same goes for the iMac, now you can get a laptop that's pretty competitive with it and save a couple hundred bucks. I hope the upgrades to all macs come often.

5. chosenwolf macrumors 6502a

chosenwolf

Most people nowadays use there mac mini as the center piece of a home theatre setup. It would be pointless to have a screen if that is the case. The mini will be more efficient for such a use and those who plan on using a mac as a media piece will still purchase the mini.

6. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

Basically in reply to the thread title:

Well, duh.

Somebody would buy a mini if they :gasp: already had a keyboard, mouse, monitor, and didn't want to go anywhere! Or if they didn't want to spend an extra $500, yet still wanted a Mac! :D Sorry, thought it was kind of obvious; most Mini's are for switchers, in my opinion.

Also, the MacBook is the mobile equivalent of the iMac, not the Mac Mini, so for similar pricing (within $100-200) you get a mobile computer with similar spec's as that which you'd buy regularly for your desktop.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Or just let the prices fall the $100 they added to the PPC minis.

The one thing you can get in the iMac or mini is a DL SuperDrive, important for some users. Overall the 17" iMac is a much better deal for performance (faster larger drive) if what you actually need/want is a desktop.

I'm still looking for a headless "pizza box" iMac with full size drives...

B

8. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

If a pricing scheme makes you wonder why anyone would buy a cheaper item in the lineup, then the company has dont a good job setting it up.