Macbooks becoming crackbooks?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CaptainCaveMann, Jan 10, 2007.

1. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Has anyone had problems with their macbook case cracking? Im wondering if Apple fixed this problem or if its a serious design flaw? I poked around on here and saw a few threads where people had this problem. I guess my question is really directed at the people who have bought their macbooks recently. See article here...http://www.engadget.com/2006/10/26/macbooks-becoming-crackbooks/

2. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I have been active on the notebook forums since I got my MBP and I never read about a cracked MB :rolleyes:

It is just a photo of a single (1) cracked MB on engadget, and all of a sudden it is a systematic production flaw? The horror! If I am Microsoft I will buy tons of Macs just to mar them cosmetically in some way to spread fud about Apple! If all Microsoft has on Apple is how Macs get defaced easily Microsoft should be very scared indeed.

3. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

So because you have never read about a cracked macbook that means they dont exist right? ;)

4. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

A dropped/abused/mistreated Macbook always exists :rolleyes:

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Slippery slope of logic, dead ahead... ;)

6. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

I'm at the bottom...can someone help me up?:D

7. Mac'Mo macrumors 6502a

Mac'Mo

yeah i too have been fairly active on the forum and have a "recent" c2d mb myself. I neither have or have read of this "problem". That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, but i wouldn't stop the presses.

8. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

People who buy laptops should first consider their own klutz factor.

They should also spend a few extra bucks on a good protective carrying
    case.

Most likely, someone dropped their MacBook hard and tried to blame Apple
    when they wouldn't repair accidental damage under warranty.

9. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

*sigh* Well, due to recent memory, and your inability to do a forum search, here are the first three threads I found on Macrumors alone which document the MacBook case-cracking problem.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=260901&highlight=macbook+crack

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=230291&highlight=macbook+crack

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=257630&highlight=macbook+crack

To the original poster: I'm sure Apple has fixed the problem, as these issues are rather old, and I haven't seen any recent threads about it. I myself am buying a MacBook in a few days, so I'm right there with you on hoping that cracking is no longer the "case".

Bad pun.

10. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Thankyou myshoeshurt, this is possibly the best response ive ever had to one of my threads. Good luck on your purchase, from what ive researched it seems apple has addressed this problem, and the problem itself did not last long. Feel free to PM me and let me know how you like your new macbook! :D ;)

11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Sorry to bump this, but I have this problem too. I'm going to try get to the Apple Store this weekend, but is this something they will fix? I mean, if excess dust or whatever were to get in there, there could be more serious problems.
    If they will fix it, will they have to send it out? How long might that take?

12. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Anyone?

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^^It wouldn't take long. An Apple store or reseller may have to order the off-white keyboard bit, but actually putting it on is easy for them to do. May take 3 days if they need to order the part in (if they don't have it), and if they have the part already, then it may take them a few hours.

I haven't heard of this being a known issue, and I own an early version MacBook (although not Week 2 or 3 or anything), and spend 27 hours a day at MacRumours.

14. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Then do a search, and if you still cant find it, look above and click the links posted my myshoeshurt. :rolleyes:

15. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

My roommate's iBook G4 has a gigantic crack in it. I think this is just from rough handling of large, akwardly-shaped plastic things, is it not?

16. JAT macrumors 603

I keep expecting my wife's to get a crack, the way she abuses it. I've been pleasantly surprised, nothing yet. It is most often stored buried on the bed. Just waiting for one of the kids to step on it.

Didn't we talk about this back when that was posted? 3 months ago.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I said "known" issue. A handful of threads at a board like this doesn't make it an issue, really. ":rolleyes:"

I suggest reading more carefully next time before rolling your eyes. It won't give people such a bad impression.

18. CaptainCaveMann thread starter macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

You really are a genius. The link in my original post isnt good enough? Then what exactly do you mean by "known" issue. How known does it have to be? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Stained/Discoloured palmrests was an issue. We're talking about hundreds of posts (possibly over 1000) posts in dozens of threads on multiple Mac forums spanning several months about this topic, all starting just several weeks after the introduction of the MacBook.

This "problem" is isolated to a very small number, so it's not really a known manufacturing defect, but more like an isolated incident, which is why not many people are jumping on-board this topic.