MacBooks for $600 on eBay? Deal or no deal?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nazdarky, Jun 4, 2006.

1. jamesi macrumors 6502a

jamesi

it looks like it is in euros or something. for sure in another currency, so it would be more expensive once its converted

2. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Well it is €600 and not $600. So about $790 USD

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Well, the current bid is 610 Euro, which is about US$790. Then there's about 65 Euro worth of fees (shipping, insurance), and a RAFT of conditions.

I wouldn't buy it simply because the seller is in China. How are you going to get recourse if they rip you off in any way?

4. nazdarky thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. That's why I posted it. Just too good to be true and I wanted to let folks know about the risks. The sad thing is that I would love to have a MB or MBP, but can't afford one right now.:( I wonder if these are knock-offs, seconds, or ??

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Oh please, this is a scam that you should smell from a mile.

Check his customer feedbacks: Out of 11 feedbacks, 8 were received within two minutes, and two say "not a registered user anymore". You can bet that there are a few more people who got feedback from exactly the same people, and they are all fakes.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It looks dodgey as they say pay by paypal at the top and then don't pay be paypal further down, you seem to have to transfer the money direct.

Also none of the auctions previously given seem to actually have any pictures and seem to contain no actual text (though that could be because they are in chinese.) a lot of the accounts giving feedback seem to have closed, and the feedback is all given very close together. All the stuff about beautiful dresses, with no images.

There are other inconsistances in the auction also, saying it is 6 weeks old and that it is new, I think the buyer's been scammed.

9. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

EDIT

I contacted eBay about it to say it's fake.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Click to see his feedback, then look at the items people bought from him/he sold. They're just blank auctions with tons of "?'s" in them, LOL!!!

11. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Also, all their prevous auctions look fake. Check out the feedback, and look at the people buying from them.

12. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

deals on computers at ebay are almost never deals. The current bid is $1100 US. There's no way someone would sell a $2100 computer for that amount of money. I don't have to look at his feedback to know instantly it's a scam.

13. karichelle macrumors member

karichelle

Looks like it's ended...

Winning bid: EUR 860.00
    (Approximately US $1,110.43)

And that the seller is no longer a registered user...which I would assume voids the transaction. Looks like eBay thought it was suspicious too.

14. Mr. DG macrumors regular

Mr. DG

If you havent got the chinese language installed then it will show up as ???? instead. But of course that still doesnt mean this was genuine.