Macbooks Tuesday, May 9?

Discussion in 'MacRumors News Discussion (archive)' started by MacRumors, May 4, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

An anonymous source claims that Apple stores are receiving materials for a new window display that's labeled "do not open until Tuesday, May 9th." The source also claims that Apple has directed its stores to push iBook sales this weekend, presumably to clear out inventory.

Recent rumors have pointed to the Macbook being released in May, but no specific date had been given.

Update: In addition to further confirmation of more Apple Stores receiving materials for a Tuesday product release, http://www.apple.com/ipod/ looks like it is spilling the beans with a reference to the as-yet unreleased Macbook. In case the site is corrected, a screenshot is mirrored here (emphasis added in image).

2. Guest

iGary

Oh Christ, let the melee begin.

3. macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

Somehow, I doubt this. Apple stores do NOT get new products in until after the announcement so employee's do not leak it to the press.

Of course if they do, I am going to say its a coincidence.

4. macrumors member

It is not a new product they are receiving..It's window displays.
    Anyway.

Don't count on it. Here is something that proves, none of these rumor sites have a clue... quoted from this site.
    Early rumors
    Several rumors circulated in 2005 regarding the introduction of Intel iBooks with varying details, however most of them agreed that they would be introduced in January 2006 at Macworld San Francisco, which turned out to be false.

The earliest rumors suggested that Apple planned to move "lower-end computers such as the Mac mini to Intel chips in mid-2006 and higher-end models such as the Power Mac in mid-2007.
    The first rumor of an upcoming Intel-based iBook suggested a 13" widescreen model and an anticipated ship date of April-May 2006.
    In mid November 2005, ThinkSecret claimed that Intel iBooks would be unveiled at Macworld, citing highly reliable sources. FALSE It also suggested a price drop of as much as $200 USD was possible.
    In early December, ThinkSecret suggested that a 13.3" widescreen iBook will be released, replacing the current 14" model. This would have a maximum resolution of 1280x720, compared to 1024x768 on the current models.
    Less than a week later, a Taipei Times report of unknown reliability suggested that Apple would release light-weight notebooks with a stylish design, with a 12" model at 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) and a 14" model at under 2 kg (4.4 lbs).
    In mid December, ThinkSecret claimed that Apple would release new iBooks at Macworld, using a dual-core low-voltage 1.5 GHz Yonah processor. FALSE
    [edit]
    Post MWSF rumors
    When Intel based iBooks were not announced at Macworld San Francisco 2006, rumors were that they were likely to be introduced in April-May 2006, but possibly announced as early as March.

In late January 2006, AppleInsider claimed that new iBooks would feature Front Row and Photo Booth software, as well as a built in iSight. It would come in two 13" models, but with a similar design to the current iBooks.
    In early February, ThinkSecret reported that Intel based iBooks would be announced in March with a 13" widescreen form factor, and would be available in quantity sometime in April.
    In April AFX News Limited claimed that Apple would start shipping the new iBooks in June.
    Several days later, AppleInsider and ThinkSecret posted reports agreeing on a name change to MacBook and that they'd be available within 30-60 days. ThinkSecret reported the use of both Core Duo and Core Solo processors, while AppleInsider reported that Core Duo processors would be used exclusively. AppleInsider claims they will be "the most redesigned notebooks to emerge from Apple's famed industrial design studios in several years".
    Reiterating previous reports, AppleInsider in April claimed that the MacBook could come in a variety of colors.
    In early May 2006, ThinkSecret reiterated that the MacBook is expected in May.

5. macrumors member

MattQiu

enough for this... "an anonymous source"?! :(

6. Editor emeritus

longofest

They have gotten new products in in the past, so it very well could be true. However, anonymous sources are hardly reliable, hence this article's placement on page2.

7. macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

I was talking to a friend who is an employee and she said that sometimes for certain products the store manager will know up to a week before and frequently they will get products early so they can set up.

8. macrumors 68000

Peyton

I think Apple REALLY needs to get these out asap BECAUSE, education buying season has already begun, and if schools can get a pc with everything a macbook has except OSX, they will, especially if they need their orders in by summer.

(I'm speaking for my university who is choosing between ibooks or some dell thing. They have to order before 15th of May.) :(

9. macrumors 68040

Stridder44

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok really though, I think this is it. The big one. Powerbook G5's THIS TUESDAY FTW!!!

10. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I know it's been rumored over and over again, but at some point they really do have to come out. Why not now?

If the ship time on the ibook G4 slips in the next few days then we'll know it's true for sure.

All i can say is that i hope there's something better than a "mac mini with a screen" after all this time. If that's all it is then it shoulda been out 2 months ago. So hopefully the delay was because apple was cooking up something exciting that will really wow people.

11. macrumors 65816

ero87

that's kindof lame of Apple, to "push" sales of a product that's about to become obsolete in 2 days.

12. Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

They may get unlabeled boxes, not to be opened until a certain date. That's how Apple can have products for sale in retail stores soon after an announcement.

It may be the same for window displays.

13. Editor emeritus

longofest

haha! you figured it out! It's just a mac mini with a screen, nothing more :p

14. macrumors 6502a

As optomisitc as i want to be, I don't think it will be true. Most of the time, stores will indeed get something that says do not open. Is it the Macbook, prolly not.

It's like many have said before, there will be an event to unleash these puppies. And many people in the press world need at least a week to get coordinated. So i think that when they are launched, we will know something at least a week ahead of time.

15. macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Maybe it's posters for the Get a Mac campaign.

Although I disliked the ads, you can't get much more direct than "Get a Mac." It has the same coercive feel as P Diddy's "Vote or Die."

16. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Didn't even think of that...

...that's got to be what it is. Right?

17. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Why wait until next tuesday to put up window displays matching an ad campaign that's online and on tv right now?

There definitely doesn't have to be an event to unveil these. These little media events are a relatively new thing. Historically, new apple products have just shown up in the apple store with no fanfare.

In fact, unless apple has more to talk about than the macbook, I think an event would be really stupid. At the Feb. event there were 3 new products (mini, hifi, ipod case). Apple isn't going to call reporters in and unveil one new product.

Some of you doubters seem to have fallen in to the trap of thinking "well the rumors have all been wrong so far, so this must be wrong too." But by that logic, the macbook is *never* coming. There's reason to be skeptical, but there's also reason to think that the macbooks are coming quite soon. Rumor a release enough times and eventually you'll be right! :p

18. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i doubt this is true, but i can always hope that it is true.....:eek:

19. macrumors 68000

dongmin

I don't know about you, but for me, the more "MacBooks next Tuesday" rumors I read, the less I'm likely to believe them.

I still refuse to believe that Apple will do a 'stealth release' of these MacBooks. Common, they did a special event for a bloody ipod case. Until Apple sends out special invites to the media, I'm not getting my hopes up.

20. macrumors 65816

AvSRoCkCO1067

Good point. Although maybe they're squeezing the last bit of life out of their iPod Boombox adverts and imac/macbook pro/mini adverts that currently occupy the windows (at least, at my store...)

21. macrumors 68000

dongmin

Are you serious? Show me one new product Apple has introduced in the last 5 years without a special event. The occasional speed bump, yes; major redesigns, no.

22. macrumors 65816

Whatever the MacBooks turn out to be, i'm waiting for Rev B, and buying a Maxed out Top of the line model.

23. macrumors G3

QCassidy352

well, speed bumps are never saved for special events.

I could be wrong, but I think the ibook went from G3 to G4 with no event, and the 15" powerbook went from Ti to Al with no event.

Other than that, I guess you're right. But I wasn't thinking about expos. Since when does apple do little "media events" to release things apart from a major expo?

24. macrumors 6502a

truz

I hope the macbooks release this tuesday ;) I can't wait to see if they are in a new design and if they come in black and white colors :D

I hope they come loaded with a 2.0gh intel core duo and x1600 video. I'm sure not, but I hope ;)

25. macrumors member

isnt it possible that the macbooks WERE supposed to be released with the boom box, mac mini, etc - but the creeping MPB tech problems (rev A-D) caused Apple to be more cautious on the ibook replacement's release?

If the problems being discussed elsewhere on page 1 about the issues with the MBP are as serious as listed, it would certainly give Apple good reason to hold off producing more problem machines.

Its not like the designs would be all that different inside. If they were using equivalent components (eg fans, paste, etc) then the exact same problems would have appeared in the new laptops..