Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I've grown tired of Laporte...

Not a fan of his misogynist comments and narcissism. He acts like he's still 16 when he's closer to 61.

There's a site (I believe started by a former employee) that chronicles all of TWIT's 'issues' (including Leo accidentally showing a pic of his junk).

I think Laporte's popularity stems from being early to market. He was one of the first Mac related ones in the early days of podcasting. Today there's a lot more to choose from.

Reactions: jagooch

InsideTJ

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I first found Leo in about May of 1998 when ZDTV launched. I watched The Screen Savers and Call For Help religiously. I loved it, as there was nothing like it. I followed him through the launch of his radio syndication and the launch of TWiT.

I still listen to TWiT, MBW, and Security Now, but I liked Leo much more when I knew less about his personal life and off-air personality. I used to be a fan. I used to have a goal of visiting his studio. For the past couple of years, I don't like him too much. But he still has some good content on his channel.

Reactions: jagooch

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
There's a site (I believe started by a former employee) that chronicles all of TWIT's 'issues' (including Leo accidentally showing a pic of his junk).

https://totaldrama.net

I believe this is the site you are thinking of. The owner looks like they are on a mission to chronicle every bad thing Leo has ever done. To be fair to the sire owner, Leo does provide a lot of material.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
https://totaldrama.net

I believe this is the site you are thinking of. The owner looks like they are on a mission to chronicle every bad thing Leo has ever done. To be fair to the sire owner, Leo does provide a lot of material.

Yes that's it.
I'm guessing there was some serious bad blood between the owner and TWIT, but IMO that's going a bit too far.
Granted, some of TWIT's failings are indeed self-inflicted.

Zedcars

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
Brighton, UK
Any fans of this podcast on Twit.tv?

I find the topics and discussions pretty good most of the time, with one exception - Andy Ihnatko. He seems to drone on and on, about stuff that seems to detract from my enjoyment. To put it another way, I find him somewhat annoying.

Thoughts on that podcast?
Andy Ihnatko makes some brilliantly insightful points and often has an original metaphor to explain it. Unfortunately he is hopelessly inarticulate and bumbles his way through a seemingly endless diatribe that doubles back multiple times and often repeats himself. When I first heard him talk I thought it was just an off day (too much coffee?) - no-one could be chosen for a professionally produced Podcast and stutter that often. But no, he really is like that all the time.

After listening for a long time I've got used to him now, but I used to always skip a few minutes when he spoke.

But, to be honest, I've grown to respect him for his intelligent observations and he seems genuine.

I used to like Leo, but now realise he is far from genuine and is often rude to his guests and sometimes mysoginisyic and very childish. If you listen to how he talks about Apple he seems to really dislike them.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Any fans of this podcast on Twit.tv?

I find the topics and discussions pretty good most of the time, with one exception - Andy Ihnatko. He seems to drone on and on, about stuff that seems to detract from my enjoyment. To put it another way, I find him somewhat annoying.

Thoughts on that podcast?
I used to watch it regularly a few years ago, but it ended up getting too long and off topic at times. Leo began grating on me with his off topic rants, on this and other shows of his, to the point I didn't like listening to the shows anymore. Andy didn't bother me as much as Leo, but between the two of them the show wasn't as focused on the Mac or Apple as it could be and I just stopped watching altogether.

The only TWiT show that I will still watch on occasion in Security Now since Steve Gibson does most of the talking and can stay focused rather well.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
Original poster
May 3, 2009
I have to say I changed my opinion of Andy.

The last month or two, I found his insights on Apple, Apple products and other technology. While sometimes the meandering logic and how he gets there can be long and drawn out. I think he's been spot on.

Reactions: Zedcars

gobluejd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
NW Indiana
Is it just me or should Andy Ihnatko depart? I am avid listener and it seems almost every week he is anti-apple. This week put me over the edge when you can hear him in background overly laughing about the whole root/no password to login to a Mac. It is a stupid mistake and costly for Apple, but its like he purposely makes it known he hates Apple. Always saying how Apple is on a downward spiral.

I do not have a problem with his opinion, just why on MacBreak Weekly? Most of what he says is true and or reasonable. He just doesn't see like a good fit anymore.

Anyone else agree?

radio893fm

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2004
Boston
Is it just me or should Andy Ihnatko depart? I am avid listener and it seems almost every week he is anti-apple. This week put me over the edge when you can hear him in background overly laughing about the whole root/no password to login to a Mac. It is a stupid mistake and costly for Apple, but its like he purposely makes it known he hates Apple. Always saying how Apple is on a downward spiral.

I do not have a problem with his opinion, just why on MacBreak Weekly? Most of what he says is true and or reasonable. He just doesn't see like a good fit anymore.

Anyone else agree?

There is another thread about this already. But to answer your question... no, I think he adds that counter opinion, which is always needed. His rumblings and voice imitation are irritating, but he has slowed down on those.

On the other hand, Rene is the biggest fanboi ever in fanboyism history. I can't stop rolling my eyes everytime he tries to justify something.

But overall a great show. I love when Alex Lindsay is in the show, and I hate when Jason Snell is in the show.

Reactions: OttawaGuy

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I don't really care for Andy, mostly because of his analogies that go on for 5 minutes. The guy can't seem to make a concise point. Rene is okay. I do like when Jason Snell is on the TWiT shows, contrary to @radio893fm. Overall, though, the guys combine to become something greater than each of them (like Voltron) – I like the show.

gobluejd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
NW Indiana
There is another thread about this already. But to answer your question... no, I think he adds that counter opinion, which is always needed. His rumblings and voice imitation are irritating, but he has slowed down on those.

Counter opinion is fine, however not 99% of the time.

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I listened for years and finally stopped last year. But Andy was not the reason. There are too many better podcasts to listed to, I’ve read too many things about how much of a creep Leo is, and Rene’s constant defense of Apple just got to be too much to take.

gobluejd

macrumors member
Jan 20, 2012
NW Indiana
I listened for years and finally stopped last year. But Andy was not the reason. There are too many better podcasts to listed to, I’ve read too many things about how much of a creep Leo is, and Rene’s constant defense of Apple just got to be too much to take.

Care to share what over Podcasts you listen to? Kinda getting sick of Leo as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.