MacCase Sling Blade vs. Incase Sling Pack

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BreederCreature, Mar 17, 2007.

1. BreederCreature macrumors member

Mar 17, 2007
    CT, USA
    I've recently bought a Macbook and would like to buy a sling for it.

I'm in a band and we're going to be planning short tours and such, so I'd like to bring it with us. I'd like to have it with me as much as possible because I constantly worry about something happening to it.

I've narrowed it down to the MacCase Sling Blade or the Incase Sling Pack (although I'm up for other recommendations). I don't need (or want) to carry much, but I do plan on buying a Wacom Graphire tablet (4x5 most likely) real soon.

The most I will likely carry is:

-13'' MacBook
    -Wacom Graphire Tablet (4x5) (with the pen)
    -a notebook (a paper one, lol)
    -some sort of iPod
    -Miscellaneous pens and such
    -a digital camera (maybe a video camera, but that would probably have its own case, unless it's reeeeeeal small)
    -Power Adapter

I'm looking to stay minimal with what I can carry around with me, be comfortable, and have everything secure on my body. I've read reviews on each one, but I'd like to know a little more from people I can talk to about it.

If anyone owns or has experience with either of these, let me know which one you think I should purchase for my needs. Thanks a bunch!
  2. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

Dec 7, 2005
    compost heap
    I don't have experience with the packs you mentioined, but I use this:

and I've been very happy. It's quite compact (see it worn by the model), and extremely comfortable. Very high quality. Problem is, it's not available at the moment - they are re-designing it slightly, to fit the new 13" macbooks etc., it'll be available in early May.
  3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2005
    I've used an InCase sling before. I didn't like it because I felt like it didn't have much space for anything other than the computer. But it sounds like the things you're going to put in there are pretty thin (tablet, notebook) so it might work out. I'm not sure what the MacCase is like though.
  4. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Jan 11, 2007
    North Central Florida
    I have the incase Sling Pack and just traveled with it to DC.

First, i have the 17" MBP - so not a lot fits it. It fits like a glove in there - love that! I don't have great travel needs to carry a lot of stuff most of the time - last weekend was an exception.

I mostly carried it on my right shoulder - not slung across my chest, but I also had another carry on for the other shoulder. It was nice to be able to carry it that way too - and I always felt secure with it there, even running in the airport (and that was over a thick jacket on the way up - and t-shirt on the way home).

Shoved in there on the way down i had:

MacBook Pro
    Graphire tablet
    Video iPod
    Western Digital Portable HD
    Treo 650
    Canon 20D - lens taken off of body though (it's a big lens - 17-85is, with a kit lens i wouldn't have had to take it off).

In the cable pouch at the top i had some assortment of power cables - to be honest i'm not sure what i had in there and in the other bag. I had the stuff for the iPod, computer (with long cord too), phone charger and something else.

My "normal" stuff i'd be carrying it in would be the computer, tablet, drive, cord and probably iPod. So i knew that it would be fine for those needs.

With all that stuff on the inside - the outside pocket was TIGHT. I did get a tin of mints in there, some gum and other odds & ends. But anything more was pushing it.

I'd be happy to post some pictures if that would help - just tell me what you'd like to see. I had found some good ones here, but when it's not your stuff - it's hard to figure out. ALso the inside of mine is black - the grey would be easier to see stuff in. THe Computer section is covered up to the top of the zipper - not ending like this one does.

I didn't put my ipod in the thing on the strap - I would have had to take my skin off to do that. IT's a pretty thickly padded spot!

Anyway, if there is anything you need/want to see - just ask!

5. BreederCreature thread starter macrumors member

Mar 17, 2007
    CT, USA
    thanks everyone, I'm gonna get the Sling Pack.

Thanks a lot Tracey, you seemed to fit everything I would have in it and a bit more, so I'm sold haha.