macdraw or paint for osx?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by guyute, Sep 9, 2004.

1. guyute macrumors member

I am kind of new to the mac platform but when I used macs years ago I believe they had a program call draw or something. I would like to know what is available for osx since no such program seems to be on my power mac. Any help would be great.

2. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

Damn MacDraw is from the Apple II days.

If you got the money, Adobe Photoshop's a reference to go by in terms of graphics application.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...hmm...I would say that Photoshop is more of a photo-manipulation tool than a draw/paint program. If you want a photoshop-like tool, didn't your Powermac come with a license for Graphic Converter?

There's a program called Teal which is still in beta/development but is free...might want to give that look. If you are loking for higher end tools then Canvas may be what you are after....as always, searching for stuff over at Version Tracker can lead to some easy quick answers....oh yeah!

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

OmniGraffle is a start and is included with all new PowerMacs. Is yours new or an older one?

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Also, if you install the Developer tools (on the disks which came with your system, or downloadable from http://developer.apple.com), you'll find an example program in Developer->Examples->AppKit->Sketch called (of course) Sketch. You'll need to build it by double-clicking on 'Sketch.pbxproj', which opens up Xcode, and then clicking "Build", but you'll then have a handy dandy MacPaint upgrade (to be found in Developer->Examples->AppKit->Sketch->build) free of charge. 204KB. Nice little app. PM me with an email address if you'd like it sent to you - I don't think that'd be a problem, as it's a free part of the freely downloadable developer tools.

6. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I can't believe I forgot about Omni....it is of course on my new Mac and even I am useless when it comes to any kind of painting or drawing I do like to just play around with it sometimes....oh yeah!

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, it can be a bit taxing resource-wise; I'm not sure your new dual-2.5 will run it all that well - perhaps you should go with Sketch. ;)

guyute: I'm just kidding. OmniGraffle will run just fine your system, whatever it is.

8. guyute thread starter macrumors member

thanks guys, I never realized I had omnigraffle on my system. thanks for everyone's help.
    btw my system is a 1st 1.8dp g5

9. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

Then why is it called MACDraw? ;)

Yes the Apple II's were still around but it was for the Mac.

10. beg_ne macrumors 6502

You could also try MacGIMP which has a lot of features, and its free.

You should be able to download it from here: http://www.gimp.org/macintosh

It will need X11 to be installed to run if i'ts not already.

11. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

I generally use SuperPaint (yes, it still works in Classic mode, and is actually quite fast & powerful.) Also, the remnants of MacDraw/MacPaint are in the painting/drawing functions of AppleWorks. And no, there was never a MacDraw for Apple II. MacPaint and MacDraw were part of the original software that came with the first Macs.

Dave

12. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Tablet

So can any or all of these programs work with a tablet? I'm really curious about tablets and would like to buy one. Been wondering if it might help with my cartooning work.

13. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

OmniGraffle is good, GraphicConverter is even better. It comes standard on all the Power (Mac/Book) range that Apple sells, and i have found it Invaluable.
    Apple don't make a tablet computer. The tablet idea was one of gatesy's ideas, and he invested heavily at m$ to get them selling. They have been a flop.

Hope this helps

14. mac4drew macrumors regular

mac4drew

He doesn't mean a tablet computer, he means a tablet peripheral... Wacom makes 'em. If you're a serious cartoonist, you're going to want to acquire a copy of Photoshop. I believe Adobe makes a cheap, stripped down version called "Photoshop Elements."

The cool thing about Photoshop and other programs of its professional level is that it's able to respond to different pressure levels on your tablet pen. Stripped down programs don't tend to have this functionality, as well as the many advanced filters and brushes of Photoshop, or if they still make it, Painter.

Get Photoshop Elements, it's worth it.

15. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

Hey, cool! I can now easily draw these network charts with workstations and servers and how they connect and stuff ... thanks to Omnigraffle.

16. Inkmonkey macrumors 6502

Thanks ;)

Would Illustrator not be a better program for actually drawing in? Isn't Photoshop more for photo manipulation?