Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
hello!

i use macdrive, but it seems to have limitations. it crashes when manipulating files on the macdrived hd from the pc... it crashes when trying to open files from the macdrived hd... it feels only elementary...

am i missing something?

i want to use macdrive to eliminate the need to have backup drives formatted in fat32 for my windows machine... but i don't quite trust it...

thanks,

r.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Can you explain exactly what you are doing? It sounds like you have backup drives, and you want to be able to put data on them from Macs and Win PCs but you don't want them to be FAT32.

Is it a possibility to format the HD as NTFS and serve it to the Mac via the Windows machine, or, if there are permissions-related limitations with that, put it on a Mac and format it as MacHFS+ and serve it to the Windows computers?

whyrichard

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 15, 2002
welll.... i have backup drives that are presently partitioned in two: fat 32 and mac.

i have several computers that need backing up, windows and macs, but i'd rather not have to split the backup hard drives up... rather have them as one big mac partition.

i use macdrive, but have come across some bugs. will macdrive limit backing up in any way? in the past i have come across irritating problems backing up huge folders (60 gig itunes libraries) in the fat 32 partition, that i never experienced using macs... which is the main reason i would rather not have fat 32 on backup anyway.... i don't know. confusing... necessary?

thanks,
r.

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I have an external drive for my iBook that I store ripped media on, would macdrive allow me to feed a XP laptop's DVD player smoothly? The drive would be connected to the XP laptop via USB.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
Not an expert on this, but my recollection is that FAT32 drives aren't officially supported by WinXP past 30 GB or so...

(For example, you can't make a FAT32 partition in BootCamp past 30 or so GB.)

You should see better performance if the drive was NTFS or HFS+. That's what you got MacDrive for, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.