Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceMagic

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Cardiff, Wales
Hey all!

Just wondering who's gunna go to the MacExpo in London on the 27-29th Oct? It's in Kensington this year so should be bigger than the Islington areana!

I'll be going on the Saturday (27th) as I definitely need a break from these last 4 weeks of starting uni (you may have noticed I haven't been posting much!). I really hope the new range is there! Last time I went in 2003, the 20" iMac had only come out three days previous and it was there! So hopefully we get to play on a dual dual G5 with Quadro graphics :D we can only hope!

So hands up who's coming :p

SpaceMagic

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
Applespider said:
Trying to decide whether I can skip off work early on the Thurs/Fri to go. Saturday is a no go since I'll be on a plane to San Francisco ;)
let us know if your going to be there on the thusday as we can have a Macrumours meetup :)

macOSX-tastic

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
At the Airport. UK
i will be going, but due to time and money (or lack thereof) i will be going on just the 29th. i like to do the london expo circuit every year, and last year was especially great because i went on the same day opening of the apple store regent street! i will be going there next saturday too.

wont it be wierd? macrumors members who talk on the internet loads but pass each other in complete silence? i wont know if anyone i know on here is there, as i have no idea who people look like!!!:eek:

looking forward to it, as OP said, a nice break from uni:D

i plan to BUY things. i dont know what thinhs, but apple things for sure. :D

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Really, Apple should have done yesterday's launch at the London event... hell even Paris gets a keynote. :(

Applespider

macrumors G4
iGav said:
Really, Apple should have done yesterday's launch at the London event... hell even Paris gets a keynote. :(

Apple are moving most of their European staff from Paris to London and their new offices above the Regent St store. The Euro 5G iPod launch was in London so perhaps with more people over here to organise things, we'll see more launches in London in future.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Applespider said:
Apple are moving most of their European staff from Paris to London and their new offices above the Regent St store. The Euro 5G iPod launch was in London so perhaps with more people over here to organise things, we'll see more launches in London in future.

<begin chant>

We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve
We want Steve

</end chant>

:D

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
I don't know... on one hand, it's quite close to my place... on the other, I've been disappointed in the past by MacExpos.

I'm also not feeling that well at the mo. I'll make my mind up closer to the day...

WinterMute

Moderator emeritus
Jan 19, 2003
London, England
I'll probably go Saturday, I lecture Thursday and Friday.

However, weekends are currently the only time I get for fun and family, and I might get into a row for suggesting going to a Mac show on a Saturday...:rolleyes: ;) :D

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Blue Velvet said:
I don't know... on one hand, it's quite close to my place... on the other, I've been disappointed in the past by MacExpos.

I'm also not feeling that well at the mo. I'll make my mind up closer to the day...

Ahh... I'm *even* closer than you to it. I win! :p

I have no idea what goes on at these events or if it's worth going, but if it turns into a MR meetup of sorts i might be persuaded ;)

I do have a horrendously busy week ahead though... not helped by the fact that i've wasted half the day waiting for and then playing with my new iMac!

drlunanerd

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2004
Popped down there today. Seems noticably smaller than the Islington setup to me. Small Apple stand, but friendly staff very eager to fill my hands with new iPods! Aperture demo impressive.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Think I'm going to head down there on Saturday morning, before the North London Derby (go Thierry!!)...

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
drlunanerd said:
Popped down there today. Seems noticeably smaller than the Islington setup to me. Small Apple stand, but friendly staff very eager to fill my hands with new iPods! Aperture demo impressive.

I was not impressed by the change in venue. Olympia seemed smaller, shabbier and altogether a more mundane affair.

One of the stated reasons for the change was to have all the stands on the same floor - why? Why is that an issue? Islington's design centre was fully accessible for disabled. I also preferred the mezzanine floors holding the smaller stands - seemed more exciting somehow!

Also there seemed to be far less room for the demonstration stands. All in all a backward step in my opinion. I only stayed 30 minutes and didn't buy anything - a first for me.

BTW, I also live about 2 mins from the Design Centre in Islington!

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm looking forward to hear what happens at the MacExpo London. Know of a person that's going, so hope to hear from him.

liketom

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
Lincoln,UK
went yesterday -

it was alright , not as good as paris was last year but ok - very small venue i thinks .

o one thing i did notice was at the show my mate was shopping for the lacie 250gb drive for the mini - , show only had the 160gb £130

But at regent street the 250 drive was only £130 !! BARGAIN , but felt a bit conned at the show.

toontra

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2003
London UK
liketom said:
went yesterday -

it was alright , not as good as paris was last year but ok - very small venue i thinks .

o one thing i did notice was at the show my mate was shopping for the lacie 250gb drive for the mini - , show only had the 160gb £130

But at regent street the 250 drive was only £130 !! BARGAIN , but felt a bit conned at the show.

I always snoop around for bargains and usually find something. Not this year! Perhaps the exhibitors are paying too much for the stand to afford discounts and, as I said before, there are just fewer stands competing.

driftingaway

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2005
London
I went yesterday.
Venue was smaller than expected but had some interesting stalls - although I found myself talking to people about products I had no interest in whatsoever just to fill time and make the most of my train ticket.
Ended up spending too much too, as I bought some Speedball laptop raisers (which are pretty good, actually - £10 for 2 sets), a Shuttle XPress (video editing shuttle commander via USB - £30, normally £40) and then travelled to Regent Street after playing with the iPod 5G 30GB and got me one of those with my student discount :D (as i took my Nano back a few weeks ago due to software issues).

Anyway here's a really poor photo taken with my SonyEricsson's panorama feature, but it gives you an idea of the layout of the place :D

Attachments

• DSC00053.JPG
    DSC00053.JPG
    186 KB · Views: 62
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.