MacFamilyTree vs. Reunion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sir42, May 4, 2006.

1. sir42 macrumors 6502

I'm about to buy software for creating a family tree and I've been hearing good things about both MacFamilyTree and Reunion. Are there any big differences in the two programs? MacFamilyTree is about half as much as Reunion which is a plus but will I be sacrificing anything important?.

I'd like to include a fair amount of multimedia and upload my tree to the web, probably on .mac.

Thanks!

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

MacFamilyTree is a shareware app with a clean interface. Reunion is a veteran Mac app, which sets the standard for geneology software on the platform. Download the Reunion demo and a copy of MacFamilyTree where ever Mac shareware is listed. Try each for yourself. Only you know what you like.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I recommend Reunion. It's just an amazing application, we use it for our family tree, which at the moment contains more than 40.000 people. Never had any problems with it.

Never been entirely happy with the web reports in Reunion 8 and earlier (they are okay but not more than that), however Leister Pro has announced (read: promised) that this is one of the features that are due for a major upgrade with version 9, introducing e.g. css support for more easily customization of your pages.

4. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Do you know when Reunion 9 will be out? Any word on upgrade pricing? I've been thinking about picking up Reunion 8, but it's not urgent, so if 9 is going to be out soon, I'll wait.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The only word is that Reunion 9 are expected "sometime in '06".

On the upside, if you've purchased version 8 within 90 days of the release of version 9 the upgrade is free.

More at the Reunion forum.

6. benmc macrumors newbie

You might want to have a look at PhpGedView.

http://www.phpgedview.net/

It is an on-line family tree program. My wife and mother use it and it menas they can both work on the same tree even though they are in different locations.

Regards
    Ben