MacForBeginners.com released today

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by martenbjork, Feb 5, 2007.

1. martenbjork macrumors newbie

Hello!

Today I released a new project: MacForBeginners.com. It contains guides and tutorials about how our favorite computers work: :)

http://www.macforbeginners.com/

Cheers,
    Mårten

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Nice.

A good project to start. I might try to put together some articles for you when I get a chance.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

At first glance it is not bad at all. The only pet peeve I have is when a site makes the following statement, "Introducing the new standard of Mac guides and tutorials." The reason being is that it is not the new standard and your site isn't the new standard. It's deceptive.

Hopefully it can become a new standard, hopefully your site reaches such heights, but until then, to be it's sort of deceptive. It's a silly pet peeve from marketing. ;) Take no offense because the site is done well and it was very easy to navigate through.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

"Download Torrents"?

I'd like to request one for downloading pirated software using Limewire too, and maybe a handy list of the warez and serialz sites. :p
    IMO, no serious help site would delve into THAT world.

6. martenbjork thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your feedback!

liketom: I used my own CMS based on PHP and MySql

jessica: I might change the sentence later, when i figure out something cool to say instead :)

Les Kern: I added this to the article:

"Is it legal?
    Torrent files are not illegal, but downloading copyrighted material is. However, there are many torrent files out there containing non-copyrighted material which is why we choose to publish this article."

7. dadsp33k macrumors regular

dadsp33k

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

wow, the project does take quite some time to finish, congrats.

9. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

This is such a great idea for a site - and the design is beautiful. :)

I do have one thought, though. I really think there should be sections for absolute beginners. There is just nowhere on the web that caters for complete technophobes using their first Mac (and no, the Mac 101 site does not count. Can you honestly see someone who can barely use a mouse getting through that onslaught of information?).

I really think that catering at least some of the site to the complete novice would set it apart from all the other 'mac help' places around. Here is an example of how simple I mean. These are interactive, and highly windows-centric, but they are in the ballpark of simplicity I am talking about.

When I've got less work on I'll get involved myself, but I feel that it's important to mention this at an early stage - the really simple stuff is the one 'niche' that is not filled anywhere else on the web (at least for Mac - there are loads of Windows beginner guides).

10. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

On the topic of the really simple stuff, I find that the single most confusing thing for beginners is using windows. The idea of them overlapping, being in front of / behind eachother, being different sizes - it is actually very confusing to a novice.