MacFUSE: Read/Write FTP in finder (and much much much more)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Palad1, Jan 12, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

Palad1

Hello messieurs dames,

A. Singh ported Fuse to the mac.
    http://code.google.com/p/macfuse/issues/detail?id=1&can=2&q=

What is Fuse? It's an unix utility that allows the user to treat nearly anything as a working filesystem.

Long story short, for each and every Mac application, we now have :
    • Read/Write FTP support
    • Read/Write NTFS support without size limits
    • GoogleMail support
    • Blogger / Wordpress / Flicker acces as if they were files on your drive

There's a whole slew of plugins, ranging from ZFS (not restricted to leopard anymore!) to Doom's WAD support, there: http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems

Let's all share our scripts/GUI wrappers for the rest of the community to enjoy :)

2. macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

wow! I've been wanting finder FTP support for years! Only thing I see Windows Explorer has an advantage at!

3. macrumors 68000

atari1356

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more attention...

The ability to read/write NTFS is great for anybody using Bootcamp - and being able to access an FTP server just like a local drive is great.

For Textmate users, I've heard you can even open a file tree... so you can browse and edit your files right on the FTP server (great for anybody doing web design/development).

4. macrumors P6

twoodcc

well i installed this and now it says that i have too many connections from this IP to the ftp site?

5. Moderator emeritus

It got plenty of attention at OSNews and Ars Technica last week. It's just surprising that few have heard of the technology.

Amit Singh is now a hero to a lot of Mac users.

Hopefully, the software will help a lot of people and end of a lot of frustration.

6. macrumors 6502

For Real? I can have R/W NTFS access on the Mac?

I'm downloading now!

7. macrumors G4

wrldwzrd89

This is excellent news! I'll definitely be giving this utility a try.

8. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

9. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Well, I tried...and...
    IT WORKS! I just copied three files to my NTFS Windows partition from OS X!

You won't set any land speed records but I just wanted to let people know there is hope!

PS - just browse the iDisk account, as the links aren't valid anymore. Also, you will need to know your disk id and volume name in some of those terminal commands, so don't cut and paste. Sometimes its noted, sometimes it isn't.

10. macrumors 65816

Josh396

I may be a little anal here, but I'm just curious if I can get it to show up the way I'd like it to. After going through all the steps I'm able to rebot and load my XP partition, but it loads with the name disk0s3 and shows zero KB free. I'm still able to read and write to it, I was just curious if I could somehow get it to load with Windows XP as the name and the actual free amount of space I have on it. I'm a total terminal newbie so I wasn't sure if maybe I did something wrong along the way or thats just all it's able to do as of right now. Thanks in advance for any help.

11. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

A Fuse extension is also being developed for wdfs to support WebDAV in HTTPS. Sweeeeeeeeet. :D I've been needing that for several years and been using Goliath instead. Eww.

12. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You don't have to do anything with Terminal. All you needed to do was install the two packages as explained in the first sentence.

13. macrumors 65816

Josh396

Sorry I forgot to mention I didn't follow those exact steps. I was using a different site I found a few days back and never knew of those steps.:eek: I guess I'll have to go back and do those. Thanks.