Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

no1putang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Hi i have recently got a power mac G5 quad, it didnt have a hard drive so i have got a sata one not brand new used but working. I have snow leopard install disc which i have used for my imac. I have been told that i can initialize the disk by putting in the disc and holding down C or shift command delete, i cant do this as the keyboard isnt coming on. The mouse is connected to the keyboard and the light is on for the mouse suggesting that its working but the caps lock on keyboard deosnt come on and none of the commands to get to disk utility work. 3 keyboards have been tried and they all work in other macs. A folder flashes with a question mark and another sign which looks like people looking at each other, it never gets beyond this point.

Please help, Many regards

no1putang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
thanks for the advice but it doesnt answer my question why isnt my keyboard working but the mouse is which is plugged into the keyboard. Surely the keyboard would work as to open the dvd drive i need to use the keyboard.

SuperJudge

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2008
The Triangle, NC
thanks for the advice but it doesnt answer my question why isnt my keyboard working but the mouse is which is plugged into the keyboard. Surely the keyboard would work as to open the dvd drive i need to use the keyboard.

It does answer your question, though. You can't use Snow Leopard on that G5 and that's probably why the keyboard isn't working. You have to have a Leopard or Tiger disc to get it to boot.

AdrianK

macrumors 68020
Feb 19, 2011
I have snow leopard install disc which i have used for my imac. I have been told that i can initialize the disk by putting in the disc and holding down C or shift command delete, i cant do this as the keyboard isnt coming on.
You can't use the pre-install utilities included on the Snow Leopard disc either (in a PPC). The disc won't boot at all on your G5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.