mach_init not found?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by dnte42, Sep 16, 2002.

1. dnte42 macrumors regular

Alrighty, Jag has been getting a bit laggy lately. I can't really figure out why. My HD crapped out a while back so I figured the new one might be the problem (for whatever reason). Last night the entire system froze up. I was already pissed cuz my iPod started giving me that folder with the ! icon so I shut it down. Today, the computer won't start up. In single-user mode it tells me that mach_init cannot be found/opened/something of the sort. So...the big question is can I manage to fix this problem without nuking the hard drive? This, of course, happened right after I removed all of my backup files from my iPod. I have tried fixing the HD with the First Aid program on the Jag disk, but to no avail. Booting into OS 9 produces nothing, it can't see the disk (because I didn't install the drivers, perhaps? I feel like kicking something). Any suggestions?

2. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh, and I might mention that I cannot do anything in single-user mode (as might be expected) as it hangs there after failing to access either instance (/etc and /bin I think) of mach_init.

3. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Startup off the 10.2 disc and run disck check and also have it repair priviledges.

4. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

I had forgotten to repair privilages, but it still did nothing. Here is what I get when I start up holding apple-s:

Load of /sbin/mach_init, errno 88, trying /etc/mach_init
    Load of /etc/mach_init failed, errno 2

So...yeah...

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Not good have you gone to the Apple.com help boards and searched for help on this?

6. dnte42 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup. Haven't found anything. This is just a little bizarre sinc eI haven't been moving anything around. Looks like I'm going to have to pop the HD in my roommate's computer to see if I can't salvage some things before I wipe it. If I could see the drive in 9 this wouldn't have been a problem. Live and learn...:(

7. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

As I see it you still have a few options to salvage the drive. You can network with your friends computer and reinstall OS X from there or you can start up off an install disc and install OSX or OS9 and then save everything.

On the other hand if it's just simply easier to yank the drive and and put it in another computer go for it.