macheads and environmentalism

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 30, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

i recycle but that is about all i do

i found out that my guitar was partially made with rainforest woods and that bummed me out

if i ever get another guitar, it will be a gibson smartwood guitar made with environmentally friendly woods

i have thought about using paper that is ecologically freindly (if there is such a thing) as a next step in my life...i already do not get the news from newpapers...i go online and i have saved many trees for not getting the newspaper and when i compute on my machine, i rarely print unless i have a reason

some people think computing has made them use more paper, but for me, i have used way less paper!

2. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

what type of car do you drive?

i drive a hummer that gets 8 miles a gallon. and i try to throw as much trash out the window... cigarette butts, mcdonald's wrappers, etc... as i can.

well basically i think i'm someone of an environmentalist. i am all for new forms of energy. renewable energy and whatnot.

driving small, efficient cars.

recylcing. not wasting. protecting animals (ie, not eating factory farmed meats).

stellar.

3. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my 1984 volvo sw is heavy and gets bad gas mileage even though the car lasts forever

i don't like big suv's but my car probably wastes more fuel

there is a new class of suv's coming out that are supposed to get much better mileage and not tip over so easily endangering the drivers, passengers, and all on the roadway...it is amazing how easily most models now tip over...the roads were not designed for such tall and unsteady vehicles and the banks and curves are deathtraps for them

4. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, the gov't could do a whole lot to help things if they required car makers to up the gas mileage by even just a few miles per gallon... but being owned by oil companies, it won't happen any time soon.

suvs are poop.

i love seeing one person driving in them. especially on a road that's clearly a commute road... one person. suv. commuting a ways day in and day out. that's just smart.

5. macrumors 6502

i'm pretty green...

in fact, having the computer on most of the time is probably my big environmental disaster/extravagance.

i ride my bike to work (6k each way). the motion of the wheels charges my light batteries - so i don't use horrible throwaway batteries. still working on a way of getting it to charge my ipod...!

i buy only organic froot and vegies (and i know this is not a totally sustainable way of doing it - we'd need fifty earths to farm enough organic food for everyone to eat.. but it's a start).

i don't print much stuff out, and when i do i use recycled paper. i refill my own ink cartridges rather than chucking them.

i try to only eat meat once a week.

i can drive, but choose not to. (though when hydogen-run cars come out properly and are cheap, i'll probably drive one of those!)

i have a worm-farm and compost for my food scraps. i recycle all paper and bottles and as much plastic as they will take.

i also designed and helped produce an environmental sustainability kit for office workers, which is still being developed - but you can check it out online at http://www.ethicalbusiness.com.au/kit

green is good.

xx

6. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i recycle and try to buy goods in recycleable containers.

i buy all of my produce from local organic farmers. next year i plan on growing much of my own produce.

i when i do go to the store, much of the time i push my daughter's stroller and use it as a grocery cart( of course, she is in it...)

my daughter is almost a vegetarian, she does eat some free range turkey and chicken. she loves brocolli, soy cheese, tomatos, cucumbers, gardenburgers, hummus..you name it...so thats one less mcdonalds customer on the planet.

i have a water friendly yard...some local draught tolerant plants and what grass i have isn't all that green. i never understood the concept of the thick green water consuming, yet unused, yard.

i rarely drive- 2047 miles on my car last year. my wife drives a honda.

i pick up trash( usually power-bar wrappers:mad: ) when i hike.

i make what i have last as long as possible-heck i still use a 233g3....my tv's almost 10 years old.

and i don't vote republican--hell, that alone helps the environment more than anything else i do.:D

7. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

have you ever noticed how fat most suv drivers are?

gluttony is a state of mind.:eek:

8. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I recycle cans whenever possible...

I try to find use for empty glass jars...they are always good for something to someone...

and when I go to the grocery...all they have is plastic bags...but I find as many uses for them as possible...usually toting my lunches to work everyday...;)

9. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

on the contrary...I've seen more mothers driving the damned things around here...:rolleyes:

whatever happened to station wagons?! mini-vans??

10. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

that's cool... how did that come about? how old is she? i want to do that.... but fear the whole healthy eating issue (not that i have a kid yet)....

well i hope you don't truly believe that gore would've been much better.... eh?

yeah, most are. the others are moms. usually by themselves. wanting to feel "safe" (ha!) and powerful (high up)...

my bros made some shirts that said "consume" (ironic of course)... and not sure if you're familiar but... the toad the wet sprocket song.... "throw it all away".... has a message that is quite along your/our lines of thinking...

word

11. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

the republican remark was a joke...i don't trust any of them to do whats right without a lot of coercion...

toad...gotta love em. great songs. glen and i were with the same publisher back in the early 90's.

as for the kid...my wife and i did a lot of research on how we wanted to birth and raise the baby. she's now 20 months old and is one healthy eater. she was breast fed for 14 months( yes, by my wife you smart-a's) and we slowly introduced the foods we ate( some in organic baby form). she loves veggies-tomatos are her favorite( ok, technically a fruit-let it go....), especially if they have a little balsamic vinegar on them. steamed brocolli and squash. spicy stuff like tzatziki and salsa. apples, bananas, pears and watermellon. she drinks organic milk because kids need it but she won't drink any juices. she drinks a lot of water and she loves the fruit smoothies my wife makes. so basically, she mimics what we eat which motivates us to eat well. its pretty cool knowing she's never had a french-fry but its tough when she's around our relatives and their kids-they eat nothing but crap. she's very healthy, happy and quite smart( spoken like a true dad...) we taught her sign language when she was very young because kid's verbal skills don't develope as quickly as their brains. she knew probably 20 signs in no time and had a blast communicating with us. who really knows for sure but we're very happy with the way she's developing.

12. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i figured you to be smarter than that.... just wanted to make sure.

you heard glen's new album? he and my bro kinda struck up a friendship at a show and ended up keeping in touch and whatnot... so at one show in va (solo) it was a 21+ place. and i was 19 or so... anyhoo, we were talking to him and whatnot and he asked if i wanted to sell t shirts for him so he tried to get me in that way.. no dice. but i was allowed to sit in the lobby area (with windows into the stage) and sell shirts.... and the bouncer type guys actually let me go in when i felt like it, so it was cool...

that's really cool about your daughter. so do you and your wife eat meat at all? just free range? or what? i am less about it for health (not that you necessarily are) than for other reasons... i hope my girlfriend (and possibly future wife) goes for at least trying to raise kids as total/partial veggies. my girlfriend is, but i could see her being less gung ho with the kid, due to health concerns (with some good reason)...

so if we're both still around here in a few years if/when i get married, i'll come to you for some tips! haha.

13. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

You did already know that electrolysis is required to crack water into hydrogen and oxygen, and so a hydrogen-powered car would do more damage to the environment than a gasoline-powered car provided the electrolysis facility is powered by fossil fuels, right? :)

Alex

14. macrumors G3

Recycling is only really just picking up here in the UK, I recycle newspapers as and when I buy them....... I used to buy 7 to 8 broadsheet newspapers at the weekend....... so with that amount I figured it'd be worth recycling....... although my old borough council used to collect newspapers, cans and glass......

I don't own a car at the moment...... pretty much walk everywhere or atleast tube it.......

I'm a relatively green person interms of attitude, when the french were testing nuclear weapons, I boycotted French produce and I do the same if other countries do something that isn't in the environments best interests, it's a small gesture........... but I feel that it is right for me.

Think Global, Act Local...... :)

15. macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Nuclear power

I want to know what you Mac-heads think about nuclear energy. I'm very pro-environment, although admittedly I am not the best at practicing what I preach, and nevertheless, despite the cries of Greenpeace and the Sierra Club, I'm FOR nuclear energy (on several conditions), and I'd like to explain why:

Whenever the word "nuclear" is spoken to an environmentalist, their ears perk up and their mind conjures up images of Chernobyl, Three Mile Island, a radioactive wasteland, glowing nuclear waste seeping through rivers everywhere, etc... when in fact the Chernobyl reactor meltdown was the only seriously disastrous nuclear incident in the history of atomic energy. It ultimately killed or harmed many thousands of people throughout Eastern Europe. It was awful, it was terrible - nobody will deny this. But the Chernobyl plants (including the one that melted down) were obsolete, '50s-era Soviet technology being forced by a cash-strapped and crumbling government to run at maximum capacity with only the bare minimum of safety measures in place. Their operators were untrained, underpaid and incompetent. Chernobyl was a disaster waiting to happen, to be sure, but no other nuclear plant in the world is allowed to operate anywhere near these standards. (And never has been.)

Modern nuclear power plants are heavily regulated. They are very safe, controlled, do not harm the environment (*), and produce massive amounts of power. Obviously there is no perfect energy source, so let's take a look at the alternatives:

Coal: Environmentally terrible.

Natural gas: Better for the environment than coal, but also more expensive and produces much less power.

Wind: Not viable for many geographical regions, requires huge land area and environmental devastation in order to be competitive with the major energy sources.

Solar: Ditto.

Hydroelectric: Has the potential to produce lots of power, but also causes substantial environmental destruction. Not viable for regions situated away from major rivers.

In my opinion, the opposition to nuclear power is environmentalist groupthink and closed-mindedness. "Why do we need deadly nucular energy when we can get all we need from the outlet in the wall?!" (I think I saw that quote on Macrumors a while ago but can't remember who from, sorry.) Looking at the big picture, not only is it GOOD for the environment, it is ultimately BETTER for the environment than ANY OTHER energy source.

I'd like to hear what you all think about this.

Alex

(*) The only problem is the radioactive waste. Nasty and terrible stuff, but very well localized. The mass of nuclear waste produced each year also is only a TINY fraction of the mass of coal smog spewed into the atmosphere each year. Solutions are already being devised to handle this stuff (e.g. Yucca Mountain - another issue entirely), with mostly successful results. Nuclear waste, contained either inside highly secure facilities or within concrete casks several feet thick, currently harms no one, and burying it / whatever will lessen the risk of environmental damage even further.

16. macrumors G3

You know, I was only in a debate about this the other day........ I personally agree with Nuclear power, but not with the existing plants that produce it...... most of the Nuclear plants in the UK, were built in the 60's, and thus technology wise are not as safe as what can be constructed now....... the main plant in the uk Sellafield isn't perhaps the best advertisement for Nuclear power, as there are countless scares, and leaks and stuff, but power stations that could be built now would, and could be supremely safe in comparison...... As for Nuclear waste........ well the UK pretty much imports the worlds waste for reprocessing....... and then we store it all up...... cos we're nice like that...... :rolleyes:

As for Chernobyl, they're still operating the power station........ which completely defies belief and all logic....... and as I understand, the concrete cast that they created over the blown reactor, is beginning to crack up......

17. macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Our minivan get 25mpg and so does our Volvo 240DL 1988 it has over 250000. I recycle and I try to conserve energy.

18. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Didn't we already have a thread like this - how do you make a difference?

Anyway, Nuclear power is a very nasty business, we need the plants, but the potential dissaters are what botherr me the most. Chernobyl was the worst, but the Russian reactors work a little differently than the American ones, so that sort of thing is much less likely to happen here.

You know alex_ant, you say that the radioactive waste is localized, the problem with that is getting it to the site for storage - for 500,000 years or more. We're leaving a hell of a legacy when we have all that nasty stuff burried in the Nevada desert, or where ever it ends up.

I'm just hoping we can get fusion up and going in my life time, that and viable fuelcells will make a huge impact on the amount of pollution. I'm just worried about what it going to be like once we get there.....

19. macrumors G3

What would certainly contribute to help the energy crisis that we all face would be to build more ecologically sound housing........ there are many examples of innovative uses and applications of technology to make the house as efficient as possibly, such as recycling rain water for toilet flushes, to washing clothes, to showering, solar panel technology is well developed now, so that they can run a house (as long as the house is filled with more energy efficient technology) indeed some of the experimental housing developments in the uk generate enough power for the residents, and then some, that is sold back to the national grid so it actually makes the residents money.....

There are so many natural resources that we can harness, without destroying our environment, that maybe we need to address building these style homes, as opposed to continuing with our current power consumption and causing further pollution and destruction........

just a thought.

20. macrumors member

I try to eat low on the foodchain - I am not a strict vegitarian, but I eat very little meat.

I bike around town a good bit

When going out with friends, we always take 1 car and pick eachother up rather than all driving to meet somwhere.

I spread the Green Party Gospel - Somone said Gore would not have been much better. Amen! He would have been a bit better, but . . . not much. VOTE GREEN!

I recycle tons - no one on our street has less trash than us (we see it when we put out trash for the Garbage man - normally just 1 1/2 full bag here!)

Compost pile in the back yard!

As much as I like SETI @ HOME, computer goes OFF at night.

Lights go off when I go out of a room.

Two cars in the family - both get over 30 mpg average - Hondas - an accord - about 30 even or a bit less, and a civic clean model I think the letters are ex or somthing . . .

air/heat don't go on very high! we put on the heat just a bit and wear a sweatshirt! air doesn't go on until temp hits over 85 or so.

efficient shower head, shorter showers.

turn of tap when brushing teeth.

I buy hemp clothing - as much of it as I can afford. (it is expensive)

I buy more clothing at good will. the second R - REUSE

We buy recycled computer paper - the RRR for recycle only works if you create demand for reycled products.

hmmm . . . I am sure there is somthing more but . . . That is enough for now.

21. macrumors member

Igav! great point! I read a book - THE STRAW BALE HOUSE - about well . . . that. GREAT BOOK!!! and great idea - straw is a waste product - farmers often burn it - that makes CO2 etc. etc. so use it in homes! the homes are really beutiful - they can look very similar to regular homes, but the really nice ones take advantage of Straws natural grace. plus the R value of straw is around 50 !!! combine that with a rubble trench foundation, fuel efficiant appliances, passive solar design, etc. etc. and you have a darn ecologicly friendly house. (if I ever buy a hous I am going to build it . . . out of straw!)

good ideas too about rain h20 for toilits etc.

please no big bad wolf jokes, ok?

Nuclear energy makes me a bit worried, but I agree, it is not NECCICARALY horrible . . . however, I think that wind power, solar power are better ideas. WIND is a great idea! ofshore arrays have been used recently too - good idea! some people think they are an eyesore . . . well, that is a matter of opinion - I think they are rather nice looking.

22. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I have to say that I am all for taking care of the environment, but not to the extreme. I eat meat, probably too much. I don't recycle, mainly because the city I live in doesn't have any way to do so. My wife drives a Mini-van, and I drive a honda, but if I could I would drive a car that was less than gas friendly.

Look, the point is that the earth, when it is tired of us, will get rid of us. I cannot believe that we are so full of ourselves to think that we are changing the climate of the planet. And don't give me the myth of global warming, it doesn't exist. There are normal climate shifts that occur. The last thirty years have been a lower temp, than the turn of the 19th to 20th century.

23. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

word to all that. my older bro is an engineer and very environmentally conscious... he's in law school with the hopes of becoming environmental lawyer and such.... he wants to build an ecologically advanced house... ie, recycling whatever he can to create energy and whatnot in the house.... build it in the side of the hill and whatnot...

unfortunately, even if a few people do this, and are able to... it's not hitting the masses yet. that's what needs to happen. who knows when...

24. thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

global warming has become politicized, but recycling is an issue that is believed by both sides and it certainly can't hurt...plus recycling and garbage in general is great business...where i live, a company is making huge bucks digging up landfills and reclycling old spent ammo from a closed down army base

people find the strangest things that have been discarded...butcher covers, '04 subway token nyc, pre cbs decals, and other things...if sold...can easily give you enough cash to buy one a new shiny ibook

my brother in law found a butcher cover at a junk/dump store (beatles controversial album cover which is worth a mint these days)

25. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Totally agree with you there. Recycling is just common sense really. I wish that our city had the ability to do so. Now in Ft. Walton where I was raised we started recycling there in the 80's. It was really cool actually.