macheads and their cars

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, May 27, 2002.

1. Retired

jefhatfield

instead of saying macs and their cars, since there are little references to the macs...then i will refer this thread to the users, or macheads, and their lifestyles

i first had a datsun 610 for 9 years, then a nissan maxima for 7 years, and for 5 years, i have had an old volvo dl station wagon

when that volvo gets too old to drive, which could still be fifteen years away, i want to get what will be the latest volkswagen bug...i love that vehicle

i also love the mazda miata and the chrysler pt cruiser...i guess curvy cars are cool after having my last two cars be kind of "boxy"

though i don't have a need for one, a "boxy: humvee is a totally cool, though useless vehicle

but usually, i despise yuppiefied suv's and over kept trucks which carry nothing in the back

since one of my jobs is gardening and landscaping, i cringe when i see a perfectly good truck not hauling anything

if i did have an suv, i would definitely take it off road, dirty and grime be damned;) :D :)

2. macrumors 603

My parents are basically JEEP fanatics. My dad drives a 1992 Cherokee (if that is how they're spelled) and a 1996 Jeep Grand Chrk. We had a 2001 model stolen from us, but we replaced that with a metallic 2001 Jeep Grand Chrk. All our Grandies are red.

My dad also owns a corvette, much like this model. It has 340+ horses behind the wheel and is basically a monster. We got a solid deal on it.

When I become 18 I will probably get the 96 Jeep and nothing fancy. But by then I will have a few custom made CD's to try out on the 8 speaker system. :)

Fear the King.

3. macrumors 68030

britboy

Is the question what we have, or what we'd like to have?

What i have is pitiful. It's a skoda favorit. Someone actually did a worryingly accurate mod for Need for Speed to include the car. It quite good. Even the same colour! It was basically and hand-down from my parents, when they got themselves a peugot 307.

What i'd like to have.... now i'm dreaming :D The Audi TT has to be the single most 'gotta-have' car out there. Could i afford one? Heck no, i'm a student...

4. macrumors regular

I drive a Mazda 626 but what I want to drive is anything that has BMW on the front of it. :) But i dont think that will hapen anytime soon so I am happy with the 626.

5. macrumors regular

I can't drive, but I like being chauffeured in my wife's zippy Mercedes A160.:p

6. macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, I currently drive a 250 dollar 88 Honda Accord, and the wife is driving a 93 Mazda MPV MiniVan. He don't you love the budgeting that you have to do while in College? Anyway, when she graduates, then she will get a new Accord, and I will get the miniVan, or keep on with my Accord. I have an 83 Mazda RX-7 that needs a motor, but I am going to put a 305 small block in it and then it will rock. I am doing a total restore on it so it should be neat.

7. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i'm a reformed car nut( maybe its just in remission...)but i've had some fun ones.

my first was a 71 vw bug convert. the top leaked, the block cracked twice and it was a sauna during the summer but it was fun.

i then got a 79 pontiac grand prix that was just ok. the great part was when my dad hurt his back( sorry dad) and couldn't drive his car anymore...so we switched cars. i got his porsche 911s targa. sweeeet. of course the thing broke down so much i was on a first name basis with a towing service and the dealership. but man, when it ran........:) :) :eek: :) :)

after that , it was a bmw 1981 320is. that was before beemers became the yuppie symbol. when that happened i got a '84 rabbit gti. what a fun little go-cart.

now i drive an isuzu trooper that i bought in 1990. i don't drive much since i work at home( 2047 miles last year according to jiffy-lube) so its mainly used for toting ladders, bookshelves, firewood and such.

if i had the money....gimme an ac cobra. man, oh man.

8. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I just recently got my 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS...
    My Matrix!!

I'm loving the hell out if so far...he he he :D

my first car was an '86 Toyota Celica GTS...silver...5 speed....loved that car...drove it into the ground...

after it died...my dad gave me his '92 Toyota Camry XLE...I was interning and working a part time job while doing tech school...couldn't afford to buy anything...9 months later it got totaled by some jack@ss driving the wrong way down a 1-way street one night....almost got killed...

with insurance money I leased a '99 Toyota Camry CE...nice car...base model but damned nice....which is what I had up till nearly 2 weeks ago...

I like the Matrix a lot...it's sporty...has lots of cargo room...and not quite small...techie looking....perfect for me since it matches my TiBook... :D

9. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I drive the 2002 Mini Cooper & I love it! :D
    It's my first car and I had to wait over 3 months for them to build it, but man...it was worth it!
    It's red, with white roof & big white 5-spoke alloys.

10. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

u got a pic of it?? I just took some pictures of my Matrix finally...should have them developed by wednesday...duke's been waiting to see it...

I love those Mini Coopers...so cool looking... :D

11. macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    i am so jealous. man do i love those. i parked next to one last week and just walked around it for 10 minutes. absolutely stunning-or should i say ab fab...

(like i said, the car lust is only in remission)

12. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

gee thanks guys, I feel so proud :) I just gotta post a pic...

13. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ooops. sorry, it didn't work. here it is...

Attached Files:

14. macrumors 68030

britboy

You lucky so and so! I'd love to have one of those, but a certain person who i hold rather dear won't let me. She argues that what with them being so small, any accident would cause me a lot more damage than with a slightly bigger car.

Do you think she doesn't trust my driving? ;) :D

15. macrumors 601

krossfyter

i drive a 1993 toyota celica GT convertible (black).

i just started moding it out.

i recently put in a weapon r dragon intake and filter .....a cold air intake.

next up is an after market shift knob, some rocking copper spark plugs, headers, catback exaust system, 17" inch tenzo rims and tires and a shogun body kit.

maybe a green neon underbody kit...but i dont know.

my goal in the future is to own either a lambo roadster replica a ferrari testorosa replica, toyota supra or an mr2 spyder.

16. macrumors G3

thing is though the new mini is huge.... it ain't alittle car anymore.... in Autocar and Motor magazine they had the original mini nose to nose with the new mini and it was like huge in comparison..... they're like 206 size atleast almost Focus sized..... I'm not a huge fan of the mini either old or new..... (thats because I was once and air-cooled man... myself :D ) although I can definitely see why people love them though..... I saw a Silver one today with the black roof, and that looked pretty handy, but I'd certainly entertain the Cooper S when it's released......

If I had to have a city/smallish car I'd probably go with the Audi A2, I just think it's so cool...... but if I had the cash, my Mitsubishi Evo 7 would be parked in my drive....... or a Porsche/Chesil 356 Speedster replica..... that'd be so cool in summer..... :cool: :D

I don't find much need for a car in London though........ :( I tube it all the way!! :D

17. macrumors 68030

britboy

Did you know that spending an hour on the tube is worse for your health than smoking 20 ciggaretes a day? It isn't like there's much choice though; parking in london is a nightmare! I guess that's where the old mini came in useful, same goes for the 'Smart' car :)

18. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

'98 Ford F150 V8 Triton Extended Cab Third Door

Silver.

19. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Those are slick little cars, but how's the head/leg room? I use to work for a guy in Connecticut who collected cars, he had a 73 Ferrari Dino, 912, and an old Mini that he used to use as his windsurfing car. Wish I had a pic of that, it was hilarious.

I drive a Mazda Navajo (Ford Explorer Sport 4x4), but my first car and also one I used to strap my boards to was a 79 Honda Civic 4 Door, almost as small as the Mini. My boards were longer than the car.

20. macrumors regular

'93 Volkswagen Golf 1.8 i, 5 gear manual... with airco and purple metallic paint :)

Oh yeah, and I drive a Volkswagen Transporter 2.5 TDI for my dad's company now and then...

21. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

damn that is one cool looking car...

I think I've only seen maybe 2 minis around here....but don't ask me what they were...I wasn't close enough to be able to have known...

nice wheels... :D

22. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I have a 2002 Ford Ranger XLT Off-Road Supercan (4-door) truck in black. Loaded up with power windows, locks, mirrors, keyless entry, bucket seats, the works. It has a 4 litre V6 which has more then enough power to get up to speed damned fast.

My other vehicle is a 2002 Harley-Davidson Softail Standard in Luxury Blue. It is one sweet ride, especially with the modifications I have already made. I fully intend to make more as the years go past.

Well what do ya know... this is post #2000 for me... :D

23. Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well what do u know...

congrats on 2000 Alpha...:D

24. macrumors 6502a

have any of you guys seen those plastic honda (i think theyre honda?) prototypes that run on hydrogen (maybe not hydrogen?)? i think theyre pretty cool, though a lotta ppl think theyre jus weird...

heres a pic of a similar car...

Attached Files:

25. macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Making a mad dash to the bathroom to hurl into the toilet... man that thing is butt-f*cking ugly... eewwwwwwww

If the last vehicle on earth looked like that, I would walk everywhere.