Machiavellian: GOP Congress for Kerry?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Awimoway, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Arch-conservative Robert Novak wrote a startling report released today that says some Republicans in Congress believe that Bush has not been a very good team player, and that they would be more likely to retain the House and Senate in 2006 if Kerry wins this year's election.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/novak/cst-edt-novak04.html

It reminds me of another article I read by conservative Bill Kristol a few months ago (I don't want to hunt down the link, but it was probably in The Weekly Standard) saying that voters tend to be so abhorrent of single-ticket voting and a one-party government that the Democratic presidential candidate probably had much better odds of winning than people believed at the time (because of course the Repubs have no chance of losing Congress).

2. wwworry macrumors regular

Is this because after getting everything they wanted they are embarrassed by how much they have messed things up? And there is no one to blame but themselves?

weird.

3. numediaman macrumors 6502a

It's hard to take Novak seriously anymore -- in fact, anyone who is one Crossfire -- Dem or Repub -- looks stupid most of the time.

But Novak still has a lot of explaining to do over the Joe Wilson affair. (You know, he outed a CIA operative -- Wilson's wife -- with the help of the White House.)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I think a lot of these conservatives are really getting worried about having to go back to their home districts and defend the Bush tax cut 'n' spend plan, as well as the lack of WMD's in Iraq, his desire to trample on state's rights, the ballooning federal deficit, and a host of other decidedly un-conservative things. At some point, the voters in these congress peoples home districts will want to hold their representative accountable for his/her votes on these issues. And being in the majority in Congress is much more fun than being in the minority. They'd rather see a democrat in the WH than democratic control of Congress. But since when has Congress acted against it's own interests?

5. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I wouldn't be so sure that the Senate is not in play. The House, because of DeLay's outrageous redistricting, may not be possible, but the Senate is not out of the question. The decision of Campbell in Colorado makes it much more likely than before. Heck, it looks like Carson might actually win in Oklahoma and bring a Democrat from that State for the first time since, I think the early '80s. It will still be an uphill battle with the retirement of Graham, Edwards, Breaux, and Hollings but it is possible.