Machine ID not effective...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by JLS, Apr 4, 2005.

1. JLS macrumors 6502

Im trying to run F@H on a DP PM G5, I ran the script for mc68k's "F@H: 2 Processor (.dmg)" from http://calnet.sdsu.edu/mc68k/

There are now 2 f@h folders in my user folder, and in each one the only differnce is the machine id in the cfg file.

All well and good.

However, when I run the f@h clients, they both display machineid=1 and only one client will work. Neither do the start on startup (0% processor usage).

What's going on? :S

Thanks for any advice.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You need to do the configure on one of them to change the other machine i.d. in the advanced options. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that with his scripts since I don't run them. Check the readme file that's included for more information. I'm surprised that it didn't come configured as two separate numbers.

3. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

It did come as seperate numbers - thats the point.

However when I run the F@H clients, they both say machineid=1 and won't both work at the same time...

4. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

That's strange, when you install it it should install as id=1 and id=2. Try installing it again, or else open the client.cfg file with texteditor and change one machineid to 2.

5. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

I did open the cfg.. even the numbers are different (1 & 2).. :(

6. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

How exactly are you running the clients?

Have you looked in the activity monitor after startup to verify that you don't have a fat* process running?

I don't have a DP system so I don't know much about the script but from what I gather it's similar to running on a DP wintel in that it only works with the command line FAH client.

For those running the DP setup, does it open any windows when it runs at startup or does it just show up in activity monitor and run in the background?

7. JLS thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, i'm sure they are not running after a boot (0% on activity monitor).

The way I got them to run was to manually run the console files in each folder (fah1 and fah2) but this is when the error occurs, fah2 when opened says it can't run because fah1 is open and fah1 stops working because it says fah2 has opened.

Im getting really fed up with it. All I want is a totally hidden activity (no console windows or anything in the dock) that runs at startup and uses both processors. I'm suprised how hard this is to do, especially when it's me giving my processor time to a cause, you would think that stanford unvieristy would have more detailed help :(

8. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

just install the script from mc68k again, but first remove all older files. If I read correctly you probably had/have a graphical version installed on it first. At least, it sounds like your problems come from that.