Macintosh ADSL compatibility

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ArielC, Sep 4, 2006.

1. ArielC macrumors newbie

I have recently set up an ADSL connection with a wireless router, and I am connectting with two iBooks. The connection works well most of the time, but ocassionally the connection slows and freezes. Turning the router off and on again usually solves the problem temporarily. In general, the problem appears intermittently and randomly, and when the connnection does freeze up, it happens on both computers at the same time. I have talked to my ISP, and spent hours on the phone with the communications company. The technicians have replaced the router twice, including two different models, tested the line, replaced the line port and have found no solution to the problem. They are now suggesting that the problem is with the computers. Since they don't have Mac support, they suspect it may be a Mac OS or hardware problem. I find this hard to believe, but want to check anyway if anyone has heard about a similar problem, or knows anything about possible compatibility problems between Mac computers and any kind of ADSL connection or wireless routers.
    Thanks,

Ariel

2. Queso macrumors G4

The usual "fob off the Mac user" approach. If it's happening to both computers simultaneously it isn't the Macs, it's either the router or the line. Don't accept them telling you otherwise.

What model router is it?

3. 21stcenturykid macrumors 6502

It could really easily just be the connection to be honest! i lose connection a couple of times a day but when my mac loses connection if i check the router it shows that the router has lost connection too so its just the line but aparently ADSL has a 73 decibel attentuation or something....but mine is 75 because my house is literally right at the end of the ADSL line my neighbours 400 yards up the road cant get broadband! so next time it goes off check your router to see if its losing connection 'cos your mac isnt going to cause your router to lose connection. even in a strong ADSL signal area you can still lose connection for no reason (mines worse in a storm) hope ive helped!:)

4. ArielC thread starter macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I told them, but you're right, non-Mac users are inherently suspicious of Macs. The funny thing is that the router claims to be connected and receiving good signal even when the connection freezes. Something very bizarre is happening.

The router's an RTA1025W. From what I've read online it's one of the more reliable models around.

Ariel

5. Queso macrumors G4

Are you connecting to the router via wireless or wired connection? If it's wireless there could be something around that's interfering with the signal.

6. ArielC thread starter macrumors newbie

Usually wireless, but I tried connecting via the ethernet port and that didn't change anything. Besides, the computer is 20 cm from the router.

Actually, now that the technicians have changed everything possible, the line is much more stable. It still hangs once in a while, but not as often as when I first set up. It looks like the problem was somewhere in their system. Thanks for confirming my initial conception.

Ariel

7. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

I use all-Linksys kit and have so far had flawless performance from my Mac mini wirelessly, connected over ADSL.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

You might want to try, as miniConvert suggested, Linksys.

It's all I use. I have 5 routers I manage - all linksys's. :)

9. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

*High five's lilstewart*
    I love Linksys kit :D

Edit: lilsteward? lmao... I think I need some coffee :D

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

[​IMG]
    w00t *high fives back!*
    lilstewart. ;) :p

11. bringbackduo macrumors newbie

lost interest in the querry but.. lilstewart any more pics of the cat??

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I would concur with Linksys which is Cisco's consumer brand.

Netgear is good as well.