Macintosh HD is disobedient

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by modyouup, Nov 17, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    My Macintosh HD likes to roam around the world on my desktop without my permission. I want it in the standard position(upper right hand corner) but every time I log out and in again it goes over to the side. I can't stop this from happening. The below pictures are examples of before and after. I'm getting sick of moving the damn thing so what can I do to keep it in one place?

If they don't open just highlight the web address and press enter again.
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    I had the same problem with my iBook. The way I solved it was, from the Desktop Folder, go to View > Show View Options >> Icon Arrangement > Keep Arranged By: Name

It may not work for you, but give it a try.

As for your desktop files getting moved around, I'm used to keeping only the Hard Drive, or nothing, on my desktop, unless I am downloading/transferring a lot of files. I suggest, unless it's a necesity for now, that those folders and files should be stored in one folder, and you can link it from your dock, unless you don't care about files moving around when changing their names or placing them elsewhere.
  3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002
    Thanks! Actually leaving that on though makes everything move where I don't like it too. I did by name and it took em all out of my order. So then I did by creation date and they went in some kind of better order.

Also, I only had to keep it on once. After that I turned it off and now the HD stays in place! Cool.
  4. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

Dec 9, 2001
    State of Denial
  5. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

Jan 18, 2002