Macintosh HD volume needs repair?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WillJS, Mar 19, 2007.

1. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

I did a "Verify Disk" and it came up with this: (see #1)

But it says I need to repair disk.. but it's grayed out. (see #2)

I JUST came out of a complete successful erase and re-install.

What do I do? :confused:

2. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Boot from the install disk and the disk utility is an option in one of the menus, im not for sure which one. From here you can repair your disk. As always, do back up before you do anything to your drive.

3. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

There's nothing obviously wrong with it.. should I abide by "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" rule?

4. insomniac321123 macrumors 6502

Well, it says there's an error. You might just go ahead and fix it before it snowballs into a bigger problem.

5. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

OK. Im backing up my music now.. thats all I really need to.

So:

Insert install disk 1
    Boot from it? ("c" key?)
    Find "repair disk" in "disk utilities"
    The rest will follow?

6. WillJS thread starter macrumors 65816

WillJS

Running Disk Utility from Install disk one worked and fixed it. Thanks. :cool:

7. toothpaste macrumors 6502

For future reference. You can't repair a disk, especially the boot disk, if the disk is mounted. So use the install disks as the boot HDD will not be mounted. :)

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nothing wrong with that rule at all. Hey, it leads to lots of fresh starts and new opportunities. Hope you don't need the data on the drive though.

9. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-WillJS

Hmm. There's nothing Minor about the disk header being foob'd in the slightest.

Do as the others say. Back up, and repair.

10. scotpole macrumors member

Fixing drives w/fsck

fsck sounds dirty, but in some ways it is a life saver. Boot into single user mode by restarting and as your Mac boots up hold down the Command Key and the S Key. The screen will come up black and white like your on a terminal in the 80's. After everything scrolls up you will see a command that says something like /sbin/fsck -fy. Type it exactly as it appears including case sensitivity and spacing. Running this will do repairs on your hard drive. If you get any other message, other than your disk appears to be fine, run the fsck script again. When your disk appears to be fine, type reboot and your computer should boot up normally into the familar Apple GUI.

The other thing to consider is a cheap fire wire drive. You can use Carbon Copy cloner to make a copy of your system on to the fire wire drive. Then go under system preferences, choose start up disk, and specify your external drive and restart. Now you can use the disk utiltiy program on your external hard drive and fix your internal drive and you can back up your files in case something does happen to your hard drive.

11. sylr87 macrumors newbie

Thanks this thread saved me a lot of worry!

I am a new mac user, just bought a black Macbook two weeks ago. It started acting funny tonight, it rebooted from sleep mode and I did a check using the disk utility and had the same error as the original poster. Booting from disk one fixed it. But, with the computer being only 2 weeks old, should I be worried? I treat it with kid gloves, but this has me worried.
    Thanks, any comments will be helpful.

12. Objectivist-C macrumors 6502

I'd call AppleCare. If a drive is showing bad sectors that early, you'll want it replaced.