MacintoshPlus <--> PC file sharing

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by DrValkyer, Oct 28, 2006.

1. DrValkyer macrumors newbie

Hi!

Couple of months ago I managed to obtain an old Macintosh Plus (system+keyboard+mouse + 4 x MacOS5.0 floppies). The system is working perfectly and is in pretty good condition. Only problem is that at the moment I don't have any use for this system because there is no way to get software for it. I need some method to transfer data from PC to Mac.

I have heard that it's possible to connect vintage Macintoshes to PC trough null-modem cable and terminal program. This means the legendary chicken egg situation for me because I can't get ex. ZTerm on floppies anywhere.

Is this the only way? Or could I transfer software by connecting ex. Zip-Drive, 1.44-Drive or Hard Drive to the Mac? Would it be possible to build an external SCSI hard drive for Mac using normal internal SCSI HD and SCSI Case and then fill that drive with proper stuff on PC?

2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Your best bet would be to get System 7.0.1 on there somehow. System 7 can read PC floppies.

The only problem is how to do that. How much RAM does yours have?

3. DrValkyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean that MacintoshPlus's 800k floppy drive can read PC floppies??? Sure 7.01 is PC floppy compatible but the hardware isn't.

* and the RAM is the default 1MB

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

I didn't know PC Exchange couldn't read 800k PC floppies.

EDIT: On more pondering, I'm way too fuzzy in this area. This is too old, even for me :eek:

5. DrValkyer thread starter macrumors newbie

:) Yeah it's true that's it kind of old (from 1986). The problem is that 1.44-drives can't read these double sided 800k floppies, so changing software doesn't help.

6. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

That's weird, Mac 1.44 drives could read Mac 800 disks all day long. I didn't know PC floppies were so primitive.

7. DrValkyer thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm if we are talking about Mac's 1.44-drives then I dont know. But I am sure that it doesnt work for PC 1.44-drive. (BTW I have had an old Quadra 700 for years but it's floppy drive died a long time ago)