Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Macintouch recently asked MacBook owners to respond to survey questions about reliability and satisfaction with their laptops. The preliminary results were published today:

http://www.macintouch.com/#survey.2006.07.31

The biggest single issue reported appears to be "buzzing" and "mooing." Oddly enough, many more MacBook Pro owners reported "buzzing" than "mooing," and vice-versa for MacBook owners!

The 17" Pro had the lowest rate of reported repairs, but overall, the MacBook beat the Pro models for frequency of repairs, by quite a margin.

Anyway, interesting results. Might be useful for information for people trying to choose between models.

myMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2006
IJ Reilly said:
Macintouch recently asked MacBook owners to respond to survey questions about reliability and satisfaction with their laptops. The preliminary results were published today:

http://www.macintouch.com/#survey.2006.07.31

The biggest single issue reported appears to be "buzzing" and "mooing." Oddly enough, many more MacBook Pro owners reported "buzzing" than "mooing," and vice-versa for MacBook owners!

The 17" Pro had the lowest rate of reported repairs, but overall, the MacBook beat the Pro models for frequency of repairs, by quite a margin.

Anyway, interesting results. Might be useful for information for people trying to choose between models.

Haha, I was just going to post this! I'm glad I refreshed my browser before starting a new thread. That is really interesting and really does show that a lot of online forums depict an overall negative impression regarding the new mac products (because many times, they come to the forums when they have problems).

drewfasa

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
Leeds, UK
I do alot of work with statistics, and I'm guessing that these polls are probably distorted heavily towards unsatisfied people as they are more likely to be on the net voting in polls, whereas people whose MBs are fine are doing fun things like watching DVDs etc.

I would be very suprised if 10% of all Macbook owners were dissatisfied and would guess that a real statistical sample would show only 1% or less. 10% overall repairs could ruin a company.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
drewfasa said:
I do alot of work with statistics, and I'm guessing that these polls are probably distorted heavily towards unsatisfied people as they are more likely to be on the net voting in polls, whereas people whose MBs are fine are doing fun things like watching DVDs etc.

I would be very suprised if 10% of all Macbook owners were dissatisfied and would guess that a real statistical sample would show only 1% or less. 10% overall repairs could ruin a company.

This is probably true to some extent, so the results should be taken as relative thing. Still the good part of the methodology for their surveys is that all daily readers of Macintouch see them, not just people looking for a place to complain.

ricgnzlzcr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
I'm still debating on whethere to upgrade to a macbook now or when the next revision comes out.

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
It's interesting to compare this to Macintouch's 2005 survey on iBooks and PowerBooks.

For example - 41% of the 1/1.25GHz 15" Al PBs and 21% of the 15" 1.5/1.67GHz PBs required repairs in the first year. We'll need to see the results of an equivalent survey this time next year to compare, but still ...

drewfasa

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2006
Leeds, UK
plinden said:
It's interesting to compare this to Macintouch's 2005 survey on iBooks and PowerBooks.

For example - 41% of the 1/1.25GHz 15" Al PBs and 21% of the 15" 1.5/1.67GHz PBs required repairs in the first year. We'll need to see the results of an equivalent survey this time next year to compare, but still ...

Was that as reported on a poll, or stats from Apple. I guess they are the only ones who know how many Macbooks go back for repairs, unless they tell us, which they probably wouldnt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.