macjournal 4, journler, or aquamind note taker

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by crissy, Feb 28, 2007.

1. crissy macrumors newbie

Which application did you guys find to be better? Thanks

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

depends on what you want to use it for. each has their pros and cons and some will fit better into certain work than others. try 'em all and see with works the best for yourself.

3. crissy thread starter macrumors newbie

i downloaded the free trials... so far the macjournal 4 and journler are pretty much the same. I was just wondering if I was missing out as to what makes the other different/special than the other...

4. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Of those you mentioned, I like Note Taker the best. Journler is fabulous in some ways - I've used it for about a year now - but it's slow, and it becomes slower the more material you keep - however a big revision is coming up. Macjournal has tons of loyal fans, but I think Journler's new revision may overtake it :)

Actually, I'd like to throw in another contender you have not mentioned: DevonThink Pro. There's a free demo... however, it's a bit pricy to buy ($80). Still, if you are serious about a very powerful application that has an awesome database structure, well, DTP is classes above anything else out there for mac. Check it out, you may like it (and no, I'm not affiliated with DTP in any way, just been using it for some time).

However again, of the ones you mentioned, it's Note Taker, IMHO.

5. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

I've been researching this topic for quite a while now and have around 9 notetaking apps on my Macbook.

Out of the 3 you mentioned, I haven't tried Notetaker but it seems a lot like Circus Ponies Notebook. That's ok....it seems like a good idea but you either love it or hate it. I loved it for a while, but then I found it over complicated for my the tasks I wanted to do. (Note taking in class)

MacJournal and Journler are pretty much the same as you said. At the moment, the only difference I've found is that MacJournal has better "Blogger" support, but since I probably won't use that since I don't think you can use images, then that's pretty redundant.

I use Journler at the moment for all my classes and its nested folders are really a winner. (Yojimbo and KIT don't have them I think)

Whilst mentioning Yojimbo and KIT, they're more of an information storing program, rather than a text/notetaking program. Journler/Macjournal/Notetaker are much better for JUST text. But Journler can also keep files in entries with just drag-n-drop.

So to answer your question, at the moment I'm very happy with Journler. :)

6. Vinnie_vw macrumors 6502

Have you considered something like Voodoopad for notes/brainstorming?

7. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I once used and tried a lot of these applications and in the end I just used the Finder (should be a nice revision in Leopard, I hope) and text edit.

8. crissy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for responding I really appreciate it... I'm a switcher so it's my first time with mac and I love playing with my macbook...

OldCorpse: Thanks i'm gonna look up Devon Think Pro and download the demo...

M@lew: I'm kinda leaning more to the journler between the two but I found a demo of the notetaker so i'll try it out as well..

Vinnie: I'll look up that voodoo pad..

DeSnousa: I didn't think about the Finder... but i'll try the other applications first...

Again.. THANKS!!! :)

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

There's also Hog Bay Software's Mori. It's $40 and likely very similar to everything else you're looking at here. I believe there's a fully-featured 30-day trial as well.

Link: http://www.hogbaysoftware.com/product/mori

10. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Well, if you wanted a more pure just note-taking program, there are indeed more options out there. VoodooPad was mentioned... I'm using the latest VoodooPad Pro to make a synopsis of a book, and it's very nice, though you may have to get used to the wiki structure. Yojimbo is good, but again, it's an info gatherer more than note taker for school etc. (same as Caboodle).

If you want a super simple and extremely usable note-taking program I highly recommend xPad. It's free from here (PPC):

http://getxpad.com/

or you can get the paid UB version (works with intel) from macupdate or versiontracker.

It's brilliant - basically a window opens like in TextEdit, you write your stuff, and there is a sidepanel where all your other documents are listed, and can be color coded, categorized etc., so you have a constant overview of all your papers. Extremely simple and functional.

Then there's Scrivener - probably the best word editor if you're writing a longer project, like a book with chapters etc., it was coded by a writer for writers.

There are tons of options. Enjoy them, explore them. Good luck!